This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Kilawing Tuna with Coconut Cream is a version of Filipino ceviche using cubed tuna meat. This version is different from the regular fish kilawin because it has coconut cream as one of the ingredients. Traditional kilawin only includes fish, either vinegar or lime (calamansi) juice, onions, ginger, and peppers.
When compared to classic fish ceviche such as the Peruvian style, most people marinate Filipino kilawing tuna longer. This means that the fish is marinated in either lime or vinegar for more than 1 hour — sometimes overnight. This process thoroughly cooks the fish which makes it a bit dry compared to the ones marinated for less than an hour. This is where your preference jumps-in. This recipe suggests the fish to be marinated for at least one hour. If you prefer a bit of pink on the inside, 30 minutes should be enough time to marinate the fish and then serve it right away after adding coconut cream.
So, what is the difference between this recipe and the regular tuna kilawin? The obvious answer is coconut cream. It makes the dish taste a bit sweeter. It also makes it rich and creamy. If you love fish kilawin, this dish is something that you should consider making.
Kilawing Tuna with Coconut Cream (Filipino Fish Ceviche)
- 1/2 lb. tuna cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 thumbs ginger. minced
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 5 pieces Thai chili chopped
- 2 pieces Jalapeño chopped
- Juice from 8 limes or 12 calamansi
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Arrange the cubed tuna in a bowl.
- Add salt, ground black pepper, ginger, onion, chili peppers, and lime juice. Mix well. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Pour the coconut cream into the bowl. Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Serve chilled. Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Make Kilawing Tuna with Coconut Cream (Fish Ceviche)