Fish and vegetable dishes are appropriate for most of us this time of the year. Let me share with you my simple version of kinamatisang isda. This is a simple Filipino fish recipe that has a mild flavor. Fish, such as red snapper, is cooked with tomato and onion. The only seasoning that this dish makes use of is fish sauce.
Aside from red snapper, you can use any kind of fish that you like when cooking kinamatisang isda. However, I recommend medium to large sized fishes. The tomato and onion are very important for this recipe because the dish derives most of its favor from these ingredients. It is recommended that you maximize your cooking time to extract the most flavors from these.
How to Cook Kinamatisang Isda
By watching the video above, you will know that this is a simple and easy fish dish to prepare. Simply boil water and add the tomato and onion. The trick is to simmer the these longer to extract the flavor. You can mash these afterwards to be sure.
Add the fish and let it cook in low to medium heat for a few minutes. Do not attempt to increase the heat because rapid boiling will tear the fish meat apart. It won’t look pretty.
The fish sauce is added towards the end of the cooking process. The amount of fish sauce will depend on your preference. Serve this dish warm with rice.
Try this Kinamatisang Isda Recipe (Red Snapper with Tomatoes). Let me know what you think.
Kinamatisang Isda (Red Snapper with Tomatoes)
- 2 lbs. red snapper scales and innards removed
- 4 medium plum tomato wedged
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Pour water in a cooking pot. Let boil.
- Add the tomato and onion. Cover and continue to cook in medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes. You can add more water if needed.
- Remove the cover. Mash the tomato and onion to extract the flavor.
- Add the fish. Cover and cook in low to medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Pour-in the fish sauce. Stir and cook for 3 minutes or until the liquid reduces to your desired amount.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!