Lumpiang Ubod is a version of Lumpiang Sariwa that makes use of hearts of palm (ubod ng nyog) as filling. I love making this on a weekend with the entire family. We usually enjoy this for lunch along with grilled pork and cassava cake for dessert.
How to Cook Lumpiang Ubod
There are three simple processes involved when making fresh lumpia. First is cooking the filling. This involves sautéing the hearts of palm with the protein ingredients along with shrimp and carrots.
The next step is making the sauce. This is the easiest of all, in my opinion. It only takes less than 5 minutes to complete.
Making the fresh wrapper is the last process. It is also simple, but requires a bit of learning curve when it comes to the actual cooking of the wrapper. You should not worry about it as long as you follow all the steps provided in the recipe below and watch the video for guidance.
Once everything is in place, you should be able assemble the lumpia easily. Simply put a piece of lettuce over the wrapper and then top it with the filling. Gently wrap and secure the filling. Top with a generous amount of sauce and sprinkle with chopped roasted peanuts.
Enjoy this awesome dish as a snack, or you can also have it as an appetizer. It also goes well as a main dish with rice on the side.
Try this Lumpiang Ubod Recipe. Happy cooking!
- 1 lb. hearts of palm ubod
- 1 piece Knorr Shrimp Cube
- 4 ounces pork thinly sliced
- 12 pieces shrimp deveined
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Fish sauce and ground black pepper to taste
- 8 pieces lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted peanut crushed
Fresh Lumpia Wrapper Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pieces eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cooking oil or cooking oil spray
Lumpia Sauce Ingredients
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Make the lumpia filling. Start by heating 3 tablespoons oil in a pan. Saute onion and garlic until the onion softens.
- Add pork and saute until light brown. Pour 1 ½ cup water into the pan. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Shrimp Cube. Stir. Continue boiling in medium heat until the liquid evaporates.
- Add hearts of palm (ubod). Cook for 5 minutes. Toss every few seconds.
- Add carrots. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Put the shrimp into the pan. Toss and continue cooking until shrimp turns orange.
- Add chopped parsley and season with ground black pepper and fish sauce. Set aside.
- Make the sauce by pouring water in a saucepan. Let it boil.
- Add brown sugar and stir until completely diluted.
- Put the garlic in the saucepan. Cook for 20 seconds.
- Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water. Stir until blended. Pour the mixture into the pan. Continuously stir while cooking until mixture thickens. Set aside.
- Make the fresh lumpia wrapper by beating eggs in a bowl.
- Stir-in cooking oil and add water. Gradually add all-purpose flour. Continue stirring until all ingredients are well blended. Note: you can let the mixture pass through a strainer to filter lumps.
- Cook the wrapper by heating a non-stick pan. Grease it with oil. Pour wrapper mixture into the pan enough to cover the area. Continue cooking using medium heat until the wrapper can freely slide on the pan when you shake it. Transfer the wrapper to a clean plate. Note: do the same step until the mixture is fully consumed.
- Assemble the lumpiang ubod by laying a piece of wrapper flat on a plate. Place a piece of lettuce leaf over the wrapper. Scoop a good amount of filling (hearts of palm) over the lettuce. Gently wrap.
- Arrange the wrapped lumpia on a serving plate. Pour sauce over it and finish by topping it with crushed peanuts.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!