Maxs Style Fried Chicken with Kamote Fries is my version of making the delicious Filipino fried chicken popularized by Max’s restaurant. It is a type of non-breaded fried chicken. It is tasty, crispy on the outside, while moist on the inside. It usually comes with sweet potato fries.
How to Cook Maxs Style Fried Chicken with Kamote Fries
Now, you can make your own Maxs style fried chicken at home. The time needed for preparation might be a bit longer than making regular fried chicken. However, the process is simple and the result is extra-ordinary. You should really try this to see.
Before frying the chicken, it has to be boiled first until fully cooked. Simply boil water in a pot that is large enough to fit a whole chicken. Add salt, pepper, onion, lemongrass, and a piece of Knorr Chicken Cube. These ingredients makes the broth very flavorful.
Stuff the cavity of the chicken with green onions and lemongrass. Put it in the pot and then boil in low to medium heat for 35 minutes. The chicken should absorb most of the flavors from the broth while boiling.
I usually turn the chicken over to boil the opposite side. Do this if the chicken is not fully submerged just so you are sure that the entire fowl is cooked equally. You will only need 15 minutes of boiling time. Remove the chicken from the pot once done boiling. Let it cool down and then clear the cavity by removing the green onion and lemongrass.
As the chicken is cooling down, boil the sliced sweet potato for 3 minutes using the remaining broth. This is a quick process. Make sure to keep an eye on it to prevent overcooking. Remove from the pot and drain excess liquid. Place it in the freezer to chill.
We’ll need to air dry the chicken this time. But first, rub Knorr Liquid Seasoning all over it to add flavor on the outside. Let the chicken sit on a clean plate in room temperature for at least 3 hours. This is the air-drying part. The skin should be literally dry after this process. Slice the chicken in half afterwards.
The next step is frying the chicken. Heat-up oil to 360F. This is really important in order to achieve the expected result in terms of texture and color. We will be doing the double frying method to ensure that the skin gets crispy.
Fry the firs half with skin side down for 5 minutes. Turn it over and fry the opposite side for 3 minutes. This is the first frying cycle. Remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a plate to cool down. Perform the same steps on the other half. Once all 2 halves are fried, put the first half back into the pot. The skin part should still be facing down. Fry for 3 minutes. This will seal the deal. The chicken is is now crispy on the outside, while the inside part is tender and moist.
Finish by frying the sweet potato on the same cooking pot until golden brown.
This is best served with banana ketchup. Have it with rice or with pancit canton.
Try this delicious Max’s Style Fried Chicken with Kamote Fries Recipe. Enjoy it with the family.
Max’s Style Fried Chicken with Kamote Fries
- 2 lbs. whole chicken
- 1 piece Knorr chicken cube
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 bunch lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 1 piece onion wedged
- 2 tablespoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 1 piece sweet potato peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3.5 cups cooking oil
- 2 quarts water
- Boil water in a cooking pot. Add onion, peppercorns, and Knorr chicken cube.
- Prepare chicken by inserting green onion and lemongrass into cavity.
- Add chicken into the pot. Boil between low to medium heat for 35 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue boiling the opposite side for 15 minutes. Remove from the pot and let it cool down.
- Start preparing the kamote fries by boiling sliced kamote in the remaining stock used to cook the chicken for 3 minutes. Remove from the pot. Let dry and set aside.
- Clear the cavity of the chicken and rub Knorr Liquid Seasoning all over . Air dry for at least 3 hours. Slice the chicken in half.
- Pour oil in a pot and heat to 360F. Deep-fry chicken for 5 minutes (skin part down). Turn it over and deep-fry opposite side for 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and perform the same steps on the other half chicken.
- Put the first half chicken that was fried earlier back into the pot, skin side down. Fry for 3 minutes. Do the same to the remaining half. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Deep-fry kamote in remaining oil until golden brown and crispy.
- Arrange fried chicken with kamote fries on a serving plate. Serve. Share and enjoy!