Mechadong Baka or beef mechado is a type of Filipino beef stew. It is cooked in a tomato-based sauce. I used a piece of ripe tomato and a small can of tomato sauce for this recipe. Additional ingredients such as potato and bell pepper can be added to the dish.
A successful beef stew, such as mechado, should be both delicious and the meat must be tender. This recipe has the taste that I love, and I made sure to make the beef tender by cooking it in a pressure cooker. Doing so also made the cooking process faster. It only took me 20 minutes to tenderize the beef chuck.
I have to mention the importance of marinating the beef before starting to cook. This extra step makes the meat tasty. It allows the meat to absorb the flavors of the marinade, which is composed of soy sauce and lemon for this recipe.
If you have extra time, I strongly suggest to marinate the meat. it is listed in step 1 of the recipe below. You can also prepare the beef in advance by starting to marinate it the night before you cook.
I added a piece of cubed baking potato and red bell pepper in this Mechadong Baka recipe. You can also add carrots. It might be a better idea to add both red and green bell peppers. It will make the dish colorful and more appetizing.
Kindly check the recipe below and let me know if you have questions. I also prepared a cooking video to guide you further. Happy cooking!
Try this Mechadong Baka Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Mechadong Baka Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb. beef chuck cubed
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 large baking potato cubed
- 1 lareg red bell pepper cut into squares
- 4 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1 medium ripe tomato cube
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Arrange beef in a bowl. Pour soy sauce and squeeze half a lemon. Mix well. Marinate for 3 hours.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Saute onion, garlic, and tomato.
- Once the onion and tomato are soft, add the marinated beef, including the marinade. Continue to cook until the beef browns.
- Pour tomato sauce and beef broth. Let boil.
- Add bay leaves. Pressure cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add potato. Continue to cook uncovered in medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add bell pepper. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.Stir.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!