Beef Mechado is a type of stew with tomato sauce. This dish is somewhat similar to other Filipino dishes such as the Kaldereta (caldereta), Estofada (or Estofado), and as well as the Afritada because of the base ingredient used (which is tomato sauce).
There are quite a number of differences between each of these dishes. One is the manner of preparation, which extends to how the dish is cooked. This also covers the ingredients used in each dish. This means that although these dishes might look similar, each has its own identity.
Cooking beef is both enjoyable and challenging. I enjoy doing the activity because I love to cook and eat. However, beef is quite a challenging ingredient to cook because the meat is usually tough. It entails the use of a pressure cooker, otherwise you will need to manually cook the beef for several hours.
I acknowledge the fact that slow cooked meals are still the best but sometimes we need to improvise our cooking methods to suit our busy lives.
Try this Beef Mechado Recipe.
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 piece large onion, sliced
- 2 lbs beef chuck,cubed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 slice lemon with rind
- 1 piece large potato, cubed
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 pcs. bay leaves (laurel)
- salt to taste
- Heat cooking oil in a pan then saute the garlic and onion.
- Put-in the beef and saute for about 3 minutes or until color turns light brown
- Add the tomato sauce and water then simmer until the meat is tender. Add water as needed. Note this can take 60 to 120 minutes depending on the quality of the beef.
- Add the soy sauce, ground black pepper, lemon rind, laurel leaves, and salt then simmer until excess liquid evaporates
- Put-in the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are soft
- Place in a serving plate then serve hot with rice. Share and Enjoy!