Nilagang Buto-buto ng Baka is something that I make when the weather is cold, and when I have extra time. The hot broth makes me feel warm and comfortable. It has been a comfort food for me every winter. Extra time is needed to prepare this dish because I usually do the traditional way of tenderizing the meat while extracting most of the flavors from the bone. This involves cooking the bones and meat in low heat for around 2 to 3 hours.
This recipe makes use of beef neck bones. This is one of the lesser expensive cuts of beef that I can find, and it is always available in my area. You can also use beef shank bones to make this dish. Or you can make bulalo out of beef shank.
The other ingredients is composed of veggies that I have in the fridge along with a few pieces of ripe saba banana. You can add more vegetables into it if you like it that way. The following vegetables are what I usually use for nilagang buto-buto ng baka, aside from what I have now: green beans, cabbage, kalabasa squash, and pechay.
I like to have this boiled beef soup like served while piping hot in a large bowl. This is best served with warm white rice and a condiment of fish sauce with crushed hot pepper.
Try this Nilagang Buto-buto ng Baka Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Nilagang Buto-buto ng Baka Recipe
- 4 lbs. beef neck bone cut into serving pieces
- 2 quarts water
- 2 medium yellow onion wedged
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 4 pieces saba banana sliced
- 1 large baking potato slced
- 2 bunches baby bok choy
- 2 cups Napa cabbage cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup patis sauce
- Pour water into a deep soup pot.
- Add onion, whole peppercorn, and beef neck bone. Let boil. Cover and continue to boil in low heat for 3 hours. Add water if needed. Note: You can use a pressure cooker to quickly cook the beef and tenderize the meat. It should take around 40 to 45 minutes.
- Add saba banana and potato. Boil in medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add bok choy and Napa cabbage. Cover the pot, Turn the heat off. Let it stay covered for 8 minutes for the residual heat to partially cook the vegetables.
- Add patis. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with rice.
- Share and enjoy!