Beef Nilaga or Nilagang Baka is literally translated as “Boiled Beef”. This is a simple soup dish best served during rainy and cold weather. Have you noticed the similarity of this dish to that of the Bulalo and Beef Pochero?
I highly recommend this dish to those who are learning how to cook because it takes almost no effort at all to prepare (just have patience in tenderizing the meat). This was actually the first dish that I’ve tried after fried egg.
Panlasang Pinoy Fish Recipes
This Nilaga recipe is the best that I’ve tried. This is quite unique because of the use of carrots. It makes the dish more colorful and adds vitamins such as Vitamin A to the meal — making it more nutritious. I like having beef nilaga when it is very hot. It keeps me feel warm on cold days and gives me the nourishment that I need.
Try this simple Beef Nilaga recipe and send us your feedback.
Watch the Video on How to Cook Beef Nilaga
- 2 lbs beef brisket, cubed
- 1 big potato, cubed
- 1 bok choy or pechay
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium sized carrots, chopped crosswise (w/ length of about 2 inches)
- 1 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 3 tbsp fish sauce (patis)
- Saute the onion until texture becomes soft
- Add-in the beef brisket and cook for about 5 minutes
- Add the fish sauce and whole pepper corn then mix well
- Pour-in the water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours (or 30 minutes if using pressure cooker)
- Put-in the vegetables starting with the potato and the carrots. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes
- Add the bok choy (Pechay). Cover the pot and turn off the heat. Let it stay for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!