Another variation of Sinigang and one of the tastiest — perhaps, is the Sinigang na Buto buto with gabi. Sinigang is a Filipino sour soup dish composed of either meat or seafood. The common meats used to make this dish are pork and beef while fish and shrimps are two of the common seafood ingredients. Aside from meat and seafood, this dish is also comprised of different local vegetables that are available whole year long.
Pork neck bones are called “Buto-buto”. This part of the pig is a combination of bones and meat. Most of the flavors are extracted from the bones; this was the reason why “Buto-buto” has become the choice for Sinigang.
Gabi or taro root acts like a thickener. When boiled for some time, taro root has the tendency to melt or dilute in water; this makes the soup thick.
Do you also use Buto-buto in your sinigang or do you prefer the meatier parts?
Try this Sinigang na Buto-buto with Gabi Recipe and let me know what you think.
Sinigang na Buto buto with Gabi Recipe
- 1 lb pork neck bones
- 2 pieces eggplants sliced
- 1 medium radish sliced
- 5 to 8 pieces okra
- 3 pieces medium tomatoes quartered
- 3 pieces long green chili or siling pangsigang
- 1 pack tamarind base sinigang mix good for 2 liters
- 4 pieces taro root gabi, halved
- 3 cups water spinach kangkong or ong choy, leaves separated and stems chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat a cooking pot then pour-in cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, sauté garlic and onion.
- Add the pork neck bones and fish sauce.
- Pour-in water then bring to a boil.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 40 minutes or until pork is tender.
- Add the sinigang mix, radish, long green chilies, and taro root (gabi) and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Put-in the eggplant and okra then simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Put-in the water spinach and stir. Turn off heat and cover the cooking pot for at least 5 minutes (this will cook the water spinach).
- Transfer to a serving plate then serve.
- Share and enjoy!