Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken is something that I usually start to prepare on a Friday afternoon so that I can have extra time to marinate it overnight and prepare it for lunch on the weekend. Since I will be roasting the chicken over the weekend, I also have extra time to prepare the sides for this. I typically go for cornbread or potato wedges. If I wanted the meal to be more Filipino, I simply cook white rice and have it with pickled papaya, which is also known as “atcharang papaya“.
I suggest that you marinate the chicken for over 8 hours in order for the bird to absorb most of the flavor from the marinade mixture. You will notice the difference of properly marinated chicken when you enjoy it later on. We also want the chicken to be juicy in the inside and cooked perfectly. This is quite a challenge especially for beginners because we are removing the chicken from the oven twice to baste it, and the temperature vs. time ratio won’t be that dependable in this situation. It will be best if you have a meat thermometer handy. Remember, 165F internal temperature means that the chicken is ready. Do not go beyond this as the chicken can get dry.
It will ideal if you can put a greased aluminum foil over a baking tray or pan. This will help you save some time later because there is less items to clean. Once the chicken is cooked, it’s time for you to enjoy the fruit of your labor. I have some side dish suggestions on the recipe below. Happy cooking!
Try this Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken Recipe
- 1 whole chicken cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- juice from 1 small lemon
- 1 1/4 cups barbecue sauce use your preferred brand
- Prepare the marinade by combine soy sauce, oil, garlic powder. paprika, lemon, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Stir until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Arrange the chicken quarters in a resealable bag. Pour-in the marinade. Let the air out of the bag, seal, and marinate the chicken overnight. Place the bag in the fridge and let it stay for 12 to 16 hours. This will let the chicken absorb the flavor.
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Top a baking tray with aluminum foil and geese it with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil or spray with a cooking oil spray. Arrange the chicken on top of the greased foil. Bake in the oven for 18 minutes.
- Baste the chicken with half of the barbecue sauce. Continue to bake for 12 minutes.
- Baste the chicken with the remaining half of the bbq sauce. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked. You can also use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is done. The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165F.
- Remove the oven roasted bbq chicken from the oven. Arrange in a serving plate.