Oxtail Soup is a clear broth soup dish that makes use of oxtail as the main ingredient. The preparation and most of the ingredients in this dish are quite similar to Nilagang Baka. However, this is not your ordinary boiled beef soup. It is tastier and full of flavor. This can mainly be attributed to the oxtail, which is known to be one of the most flavorful part of the cow. There are also additional ingredients that helped provide more flavor to the dish.
If you have not tried making this dish yet, I suggest that you consider making one soon so that you can enjoy it the same way I did. If you are new to cooking, please do not get intimidated. This is one of the simple dishes fit for beginners. All you need to do is follow the recipe below (step-by-step) and watch the cooking video for additional guidance. I will appreciate if you can provide your feedback by commenting below.
The good thing about this dish is that you don’t need to sauté any ingredient. Let me quickly tell you how I cooked my oxtail soup. I started by boiling water in a cooking pot. The oxtails were pre-boiled for a certain amount of time until scums and fats separate and float. The beef gets partially cooked during the process. I then discarded the water used to boil the oxtail and pour a clean batch to replace the initial. You can boil the beef using the traditional way, which will eat 2 to 3 hours of your time. Using a pressure cooker is also a good option because it can tenderize the beef quickly, thus saving you time.
The meat needs to be tender first before adding the vegetables. This is the reason why the veggies are added towards the end of the cooking process usually before the seasons are put-in.
It is important to make the oxtail as tender as possible. You can use the traditional method of simmering the meat for hours, or you can also pressure cook it. The latter should be able to provide you a tender ox tail in around 35 minutes.
Try this Oxtail Soup Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Oxtail Soup Recipe
- 2 ½ lbs. Oxtail
- 1 Knorr Beef Cube
- 1 bunch bok choy or pechay
- 1 cup sliced Shiitake mushroom
- 1 cup scallions chopped
- 2 thumbs ginger cut into strips
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 pieces star anise
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 10 to 12 cups water
- Combine water and oxtail. Let boil. Continue to cook in medium heat for 15 minutes. Discard the water.
- Pour 10 to 12 cups water into the cooking pot. Add the semi-boiled oxtail, onion, ginger, and star anise. Let boil.
- Add Knorr beef cube. Stir. Continue to cook between low to medium heat until the oxtail becomes tender. Note: this usually takes between 2 to 3 hours. You can use a pressure cooker to make the cooking time faster. If using a pressure cooker, 35 minutes should be enough.
- Add the Shiitake mushroom. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Season with ground black pepper and salt. Stir.
- Add scallions and bok choy. Stir.
- Turn the heat off. Cover and let it stay for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Oxtail Soup