Nilagang Baka is a simple Filipino beef soup. There are many ways to prepare it. This recipe is probably the tastiest among the versions that I know because I used some sort of mirepoix to infuse flavor to the soup. I’m talking about the addition of onion, celery, and star anise in the initial step so that the soup will be flavorful even before we add the beef.
Cooking Nilagang Baka is really easy. However, you will need to be patient when you want to have the best possible result because it takes time to make the beef tender. I think that the wait is acceptable because boiling or simmering meat for long periods of time not also makes it tender, it also brings out the flavor, which makes the soup more tasty.
This recipe makes use of both bok choy (or you can also use pechay) and cabbage. I thought that adding more greens will make it look appetizing and it would also be full of nutrients. The saba banana gives the soup a sweet delicious taste.
Have it anytime of the year. Although, this is perfect during cold and rainy days.
Try this Nilagang Baka Recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. beef sirloin, cubed
- 2 bunches baby bok choy (or pechay)
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 6 pieces Saba banana, halved
- 4 pieces baking potato, quartered
- 1 large white onion, halved
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 pieces star anise
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the water and beef broth in a large cooking pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add the onion, star anise, and celery. Reduce the heat in medium. Cover the pot and continue to boil for 20 minutes.
- Remove the onion, star anise, and celery from the boiling liquid using a skimmer or a strainer. You can discard these ingredients.
- Add the beef. Simmer for 60 to 90 minutes or until the beef becomes tender. You can add more water if necessary.
- Put-in the saba banana and potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the bok choy and cabbage. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Stir.
- Cover and turn the heat off. Let the pot stay with cover-on for 2 to 5 minutes to cook the vegetables.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!