Panara is an appetizer dish made from chopped upo (bottle gourd) and minced shrimp wrapped in a wonton wrapper and deep fried until golden brown. This panara recipe comparable to pinsec frito and fried siomai.
If my memory serves me right, this dish originated from the Visayas. While this is a perfect appetizer, it can also be eaten for lunch or dinner with rice. I usually dip panara either with spiced vinegar or banana ketchup. This goes well too with toyomansi (ponzu) and sweet and sour sauce.
Preparing panara is quick and easy. This is one of the top recipes for beginners that I recommend. All you have to do is saute the filling (vegetables and shrimps); seal them in the wonton wrapper; and deep fry until the color turns golden brown. Don’t forget to let excess oil drip by placing newly fried panara in a plate lined with paper towel.
Try this Panara Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Panara Recipe (Deep Fried Shrimp Wonton)
- 2 cups chopped bottle gourd upo
- 10 pieces medium shrimp shells and head removed, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 15 pieces square wonton wrapper
- 1 egg beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the filling by heating 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan.
- Saute the onion. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute.
- Put-in the chopped upo. Put-in the garlic powder. Stir and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
- Transfer to a plate. Let the temperature cool down.
- Wrap the mixture in the wonton wrapper. Do this by first lining the sides of the wrapper with beaten egg. Dip your finger into the beaten egg and run it through the side of the wrapper. Scoop about a tablespoon of mixture and place it in the middle of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper such that a triangular shape is formed. Press the sides to seal. Do this procedure until the entire mixture is consumed.
- Heat the remaining oil in a cooking pot.
- Deep fry the wontons with filings until the color turns medium to golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve!
- Share and enjoy!