Pancit Molo is a Filipino wonton soup dish. This version is simpler compared to the molo soup that we previously featured, but the taste is as good as the original, or maybe even better.
The filling of the wontons are composed of ground pork and shrimp. I also added onion, sesame oil, and some seasonings. These ingredients should be readily available in the supermarket or Asian stores near your location. The soup is composed of chicken broth and water along with rotisserie chicken. You can also use chicken stock or plain water, but you will need to add chicken bouillon if this is the case. Using rotisserie chicken makes the soup very tasty. I have tried this with lechon manok too and it was good too.
While all the ingredients help make this dish a success, there is one ingredient that plays an important role. I am talking about toasted garlic (tustadong bawang). Adding it can take this dish to another level. I love toasted (or roasted) garlic. In my opinion, it makes pancit molo and even dishes such as arroz caldo and goto taste better. Do you like it too?
Try this Pancit Molo Recipe. Enjoy!
Pancit Molo Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground pork
- 15 pieces medium shrimp shell removed and deveined
- 30 to 35 pieces wrapper wonton
- 1 medium yellow onion minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup toasted garlic
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- Start to prepare the wonton by chopping the shrimp into small pieces and put it in a mixing bowl.
- Add ground pork, onion, sesame oil, egg, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Mix well.
- Lay a piece of wonton wrapper flat on a plate. Scoop 1 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture and place on the middle of the wrapper. Fold the wonton wrapper to form a triangle. Press the sides to keep the meat mixture intact. Gold both sides of the triangle wrapper inward. Set aside. Do this step until the pork mixture is completely consumed.
- Make the soup by combining water and chicken broth in a soup pot. Let boil.
- Add the rotisserie chicken (with bones). Cover and boil in low heat for 20 minutes. Turn the heat off temporarily.
- Remove the chicken and let it cool down. Separate the meat from the bones. Shred the meat.
- Turn the heat back on and wait until the liquid reboils. Add the shredded chicken meat.
- Put the wontons in the soup pot. Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes in low to medium heat.
- Add the fish sauce and half of the chopped scallions. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Top with toasted garlic and additional scallions.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Pancit Molo