To those of you who enjoy eating canned sardines, this Pandesal and Sardines Pizza might sound interesting. Aside from being easy to make and quick to cook, it is also very tasty. I think that the combination of the ingredients worked well in harmony to push ordinary canned sardines up a few levels.
Leftover pandesal is best used to make this dish. We do not need soft pandesal to begin with, because the bread needs to be baked in the oven (or oven toaster) later on, anyway. If you are in the Philippines or in any location where pandesal is ready available, you should not have any issue sourcing for it. However, for our kababayans outside of the Philippines who don’t have direct access to pandesal, this pandesal recipe should help.
The pizza sauce for this sardines pizza is a combination of tomato paste, tomato sauce from the sardines, and a bit of italian seasoning. I thought that it had a balanced flavor. I would also recommend the use of Italian seasoning (it is listed as optional in the recipe below) because it makes difference.
I topped each slice of bread with 2 pieces of sardines, and sprinkled a generous amount of shredded cheddar cheese on top before baking the pandesal pizza in the oven. You can also use an oven toaster with bake or broil functionalities to cook this. Enjoy your pizza with a bit a little kick by adding either hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
Try this Pandesal and Sardines Pizza Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Pandesal and Sardines Pizza
- 2 to 3 pieces pandesal
- 2 155 g small cans sardines in tomato sauce
- 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- A pinch of Italian seasoning optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 370F
- Slice the pandesal in half. Set aside
- Open the cans of sardines. Separate the fish from the tomato sauce.
- Combine tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of sauce from the sardines, and Italian seasoning. Stir.
- Spread the tomato paste mixture over every slice of pandesal. Arrange 1 to 2 pieces of sardines over each pandesal. Top with a generous amount of cheese.
- Arrange on a baking tray. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Top with parsley and red pepper flakes.Serve as snack.
- Share and enjoy!