Pininyahang Manok literally translates to pineapple chicken. This Recipe calls for chicken slices to be marinated in pineapple juice then stewed with pineapple chunks. Aside from pineapples, secondary ingredients such as carrots, bell pepper, and milk make-up the dish.
There are some variations of this dish. One of my favorites is Pininyahang Manok sa Gata, which uses coconut milk instead of evaporated or fresh milk. It is richer and it tastes great too.
I used fresh milk in this recipe because it is the component of the pineapple chicken that I grew-up eating. It never ceases to give me that nostalgic feeling.
How to Cook Pininyahang Manok
Start by marinating the chicken slices in pineapple juice. Since I am using canned pineapple chunks for this recipe, I marinated it in the juice that comes in the can. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes. This helps the chicken absorb the flavors from the juice and it can also help tenderize the chicken meat. I suggest marinating longer for best results.
Next is to saute garlic and onion. You can do this by sautéing the onion first followed by the garlic, of you can do the opposite. It does not matter. I personally saute the garlic first only if I want my dish to have that roasted garlic flavor, which can be derived from browned garlic.
Start to cook the marinated chicken until the sides turn light brown. Pour pineapple juice, add pineapple chunks, and let boil. You can also add milk in this step as indicated in the recipe. However, you can also opt to add a cup or so of water first and boil the chicken until it tenderizes completely. Add the milk afterwards.
Add the veggies. Start with the ones that take more time to tenderize. It is the carrot in our case. Cook for around 5 minutes before adding the capsicum or bell peppers.
Season you dish with fish sauce and ground black pepper.
This is perfect to pair with warm white rice. Enjoy!
Try this Pininyahang Manok recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs chicken cut into serving pieces
- 12 ounces pineapple chunks canned
- 2 pieces tomato chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper cut into thick strips
- 1 piece carrot wedged
- 2 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce patis
- 1/2 cup fresh milk
- 2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 piece onion sliced
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Marinate the chicken in pineapple juice/concentrate (derived from the can of pineapple chunks) for 20 to 30 minutes
- Pour the cooking oil in a cooking pot / casserole then apply heat
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomatoes
- Put-in the chicken and cook until color of the outer part turns light brown
- Add the pineapple juice/concentrate marinade and fresh milk then bring to a boil
- Add the pineapple chunks and simmer until the chicken is tender and half of the liquid evaporates (about 20 to 30 minutes).
- Put-in the carrots and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the bell pepper and fish sauce then simmer for 3 minutes
- Remove from the cooking pot / casserole and transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!