This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I love baked macaroni and I also enjoy eating Filipino Spaghetti. These are my inspiration for creating this dish, which I called “Pinoy Style Baked Macaroni with White Sauce”. It is as rich and creamy as baked mac, and it tasty and sweet as Pinoy Spag. This is truly the best of both worlds.
This dish is fit for all occasions. You can prepare this during the holidays, especially during the Christmas season. This will be part of our Family’s Noche Buena this year. The kids really loved it.
How to Cook Pinoy Style Baked Macaroni with White Sauce
The entire process can be divided into three procedures: cooking the macaroni, preparing the meat sauce, and preparing the white sauce.
The quickest and easiest among the three is the first procedure. Simple cook the macaroni according to package instructions. The duration of cooking may vary though, depending on the brand of the pasta. Drain the water once the pasta is cooked. Set it aside for now.
Making the meat sauce might sound complicated, but it is really straightforward and simple. The first thing that I did was to saute the onion and garlic until the onion softens. Next is to brown the ground meats (beef and pork). The hotdogs (or cheese dog) goes in next followed by the bell peppers. I also add a piece of Knorr Beef Cube for a meatier flavor. Pour the tomato sauce afterwards and add some water. Let the sauce cook for 25 minutes. Combine the pasta and meat sauce and toss until blended. I also add shredded cheese into the mix.
Prepare the white sauce by melting butter in a saucepan. Gradually add flour while stirring. You’ll notice that the mixture will start to be bubbly. Gradually pour milk and continue to stir until mixture smoothens. You may want to use a wire whisk for best results. Add remaining cheese and continue to cook until it melts with the sauce.
Now that everything is in place, it is time to complete the pasta. Transfer the macaroni and meat sauce mixture to a baking pan. Top with white sauce and the spread until the pasta is fully covered. Bake in 350F for 15 to 20 minutes.
This is best served with garlic bread or toast with butter.
Try this delicious Pinoy Style Baked Macaroni with White Sauce recipe. Happy cooking!
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
Meat Sauce Ingredients:
White Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ cup butter salted
- 2 cups milk
- 3 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Prepare the macaroni by cooking according to package instructions. Drain the liquid and set the macaroni aside.
- Make the meat sauce. Heat oil in a pan. Sauté onion and garlic. Once onion softens, sauté ground beef and ground pork until it browns. Add hotdog and bell peppers. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add Knorr Beef cube. Stir and then pour tomato sauce and water. Cover the pot and boil for 20 to 25 minutes using low to medium heat. Note: add more water if needed. Season with sugar, salt, and ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Make the white sauce by melting butter in a saucepan. Add all-purpose flour. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Gradually pour milk while stirring. Add half of the cheese. Stir and continue cooking until the sauce thickens.
- Combine macaroni and meat sauce in a bowl. Add the remaining cheese. Toss.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Transfer the macaroni with meat sauce in a baking pan. Pour white sauce on top and then spread evenly.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!