Popcorn Chicken or Chicken Popcorn are small slices of chicken that were coated in flour and deep fried until it turns light to medium brown. This is a kid favorite and goes well with most dipping sauces. Speaking about dipping sauce, some of the favorites that goes well with this are barbecue, honey mustard, sweet and sour, and ranch. I also enjoy having this with Sriracha mayo.
Making your own popcorn chicken at home is fairly easy. I have the recipe below, which should be enough. However, I also thought of shooting a quick cooking video so that you can be guided further. You can find it at the end of this post.
The secret for a good popcorn chicken has something to do with the coating, heat of the oil, and frying time. I always double coat the chicken in all-purpose flour. This methods helps develop the popcorn-like appearance after frying. The temperature of the oil should not be too hot. This will prevent the coating from browning quickly leaving the chicken partially cooked. The frying time should also be just right so that the chicken is thoroughly cooked while tender and the coating is crisp. The magic number is 3 to 5 minutes depending on the size of the cut.
My kids loved this dish. They enjoyed it with crispy homemade french fries. They are not into dipping sauces yet, but I must say that I loved this with ranch. I included the link to my ranch dressing recipe in the recipe box below.
Try this Popcorn Chicken Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Popcorn Chicken Recipe
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast sliced into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika optional
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups cooking oil
- Place chicken in a bowl. Add garlic powder, ground black pepper, salt, and paprika. Mix well. Let the chicken absorb the seasonings for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Crack the eggs in a bowl. Beat.
- Place flour in a bowl. Line-up with the bowl of beaten egg and then the one the marinated chicken breasts.
- Heat the oil in a cooking pot to 300F.
- Dip each piece of chicken in beaten egg, and then dredge in flour. Make sure that the chicken gets coated with flour all over. Put in a clean plate or bowl.
- Double coat the chicken by repeating the previous step (dip in egg again and then dredge in flour).
- Deep fry each coated chicken piece for 3 to 5 minutes or until light to medium brown. Remove from the pot and let the excess oil drip.
- Arrange in a a serving plate with your favorite dip. I suggest that you serve this with ranch. Here is the recipe.
Watch the Video on How to Cook Popcorn Chicken