Pork Mechado Recipe
Pork mechado is a Filipino pork stew. This particular recipe is composed of pork slices, potato, frozen green peas, and bell peppers. It is a simple dish that can easily be prepared by anyone. Follow the recipe exactly as it is written so that you can be guided accordingly. I used pork shoulders for this…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pork mechado is a Filipino pork stew. This particular recipe is composed of pork slices, potato, frozen green peas, and bell peppers. It is a simple dish that can easily be prepared by anyone. Follow the recipe exactly as it is written so that you can be guided accordingly.
I used pork shoulders for this recipe. It is the perfect cut for me because it contains fat, which keep the meat moist. I also like its composition once the pork gets tender. Pork butt is also a good cut to use. If you are trying to avoid fatty foods, you may use leaner cuts of pork such as pork tenderloin.
The first thing to do when making pork mechado is to marinate the pork in soy sauce and lime juice for at least 10 minutes. Calamansi (or calamondin) can be used as a substitute for lime. This helps provide flavor to the pork and enhances the overall taste of the dish.
The traditional Filipino way of cooking stews and other related dishes is to sauté garlic and onions before adding the meat. This procedure needs to be done for this recipe. The key is to cook the garlic until it gets light to medium brown (but not burnt) and to cook the onion until the texture becomes soft. This extracts the flavor from these ingredients. It also produces an appetizing aroma.
Next is to add the pork and sauté until light brown. The tomato sauce and water is added afterwards along with the pork cube. The pork needs to cook in low heat for a while until it gets tender. The vegetables and seasonings are added later on.
This recipe is straightforward. It contains more ingredients compared to beef mechado, but both dishes share the same level of deliciousness.
Try this yummy pork mechado recipe. Cheers!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Pork Mechado
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
Pork Mechado Recipe
- 1 ½ lb. pork shoulder sliced into cubes
- 1 large potato cubed
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 Knorr Pork Cube
- 1 lime or calamansi
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 can 6 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups water
- 5 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Combine pork, soy sauce, and juice of 1 lime in a bowl. Mix well and let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute the garlic and onion until the onion gets soft.
- Add the marinated pork (include the remaining marinade). Cook until it pork turns light brown.
- Pour tomato sauce and water. Let boil.
- Add the Knorr Pork Cube. Stir. Cover and cook in low heat for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Add the potato and green peas. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir-in the bell peppers. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Leave a Comment