Pochero and Bulalo are two dishes that I enjoy eating separately. I have been always trying to figure out how it would be if these dishes were combined to form a single dish. I realized that these make a perfect combination in the form of Puchero Bulalo.
I have always enjoyed tasty beef dishes. One of the techniques that I learned to bring out that nice caramelized flavor from the beef is to sear the meat until it turns brown. This causes “Maillard Reaction”, which is a type of chemical reaction that produces a unique flavor. This can make meats such as beef shank taste better.
The same technique was used to bring out the flavor from the bulalo. I think that it worked well to improve the overall flavor of the dish.
I liked this dish because it is delicious and it was cooked just right. The beef was tasty and tender, while the vegetables are crisp. The sweetness of the banana had a nice effect in balancing the flavors.
Puchero Bulalo is best eaten with warm white rice. You can eat this with a bit of fish sauce as a condiment.
Have you made this dish yet? Try this Puchero Bulalo Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs. bulalo beef shank
- 1 large baking potato cubed
- 2 ripe saba bananas sliced
- 14 ounces garbanzos
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 15 pieces long green beans
- 1 Chinese sausage sliced
- 1 medium ripe tomato cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ head medium cabbage wedged
- 1 bunch baby bok choy
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat a cooking pot or pressure cooker. Once hot, sear one side of the beef shank for 2 minutes. Turn it over to sear the other side for another 2 minutes.Remove the beef shank and set aside.
- Pour oil into the pressure cooker. Saute onion, garlic, and tomato.
- Add Chinese sausage or chorizo de bilbao. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the seared bulalo back into the pressure cooker.
- Pour tomato sauce and beef broth. Let boil. Cover the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let the pressure out of the pressure cooker and then remove the cover.
- Add the saba banana, garbanzos, and potato. Continue to cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add long green beans, bok choy, and cabbage. Stir. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add fish sauce and ground black pepper. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve!
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Puchero Bulalo