Sardines with Sotanghon and Pechay is a type of noodle soup that makes use of canned sardines in tomato sauce, Vermicelli noodles, and pechay (this is a vegetable similar to baby bok choy). Is is a budget-friendly dish that only takes a few minutes to make. This is one of my go-to dishes during the shelter-in-place (self-quarantine) period.
Aside from this, you can also check my other easy recipes:
How to Cook Sardines with Sotanghon and Pechay
Making this dish at home has never been easier. You will need to start by sautéing the aromatics. These are the garlic and onion. The next thing to do is to cook the sardines and add the remaining ingredients one-at-a-time. Here is how:
I first heated oil in a pan to get me ready for the sautéing process. While the oil is heating-up, the garlic was crushed and I chopped it into small pieces. I then added the garlic into the pan and cooked it until is started to turn brown. The onion also needs to be chopped into small pieces. Add it once you see the garlic change color. Continue to saute until the onion softens.
Pour the contents of the canned sardines into the pan and then gently stir. Adjust the heat to medium and continue cooking for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Add the pechay afterwards.
Green leafy vegetables such as pechay or bok choy cooks quick. You should be able to pour-in the water after around 30 seconds of adding it.
This is a type of fish noodle soup. This is the reason why water is needed. Make sure to wait until the water boils before adding the Vermicelli noodles (sotanghon). Cook the noodles until it softens. Stir once-in-a-while.
You are almost done. Finish by seasoning your dish with fish sauce (patis) and ground black pepper.
Try this Sardines with Sotanghon and Pechay recipe. Enjoy!
Sardines with Sotanghon and Pechay
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Crush the garlic and chop into small pieces. Saute in oil until it starts to brown. Add onion. Continue to cook until the later softens.
- Pour the contents of the canned sardines into the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add pechay or bok choy. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour water into the pan. Let boil.
- Add sotanghon (vermicelli) noodles. Stir and cook until the noodles softens.
- Season with fish sauce and ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot.