This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This recipe is shared to us by Hidemi W. This was her entry to the Panlasang Pinoy Recipe Contest .
This is the last week of selection for this month. The selected recipes will be placed in the poll for you to vote-on. The recipe with the highest vote wins this month’s prize.
I could call this Cake Sushi. I am using cake pan to form the rice; avocado and smoked salmon sushi are the ingredients that I am using as decorations to make this look like an ordinary cake.
The rose that you see in the picture is made from smoked salmon sushi. It is easy to make a rose shaped salmon; all you need to do is slice the smoked salmon into 2 inch length then gently roll with one hand until a rose shaped figure is formed.
2 cups uncooked Japanese Rice or Sushi Rice
1/2 cup rice vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 piece avocado
2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon mayonnaise
2 pieces eggs, beaten
8 ounces smoked salmon
1. Rinse rice several times in running water until water gets clear. Drain in a colander. Cook in a sauce pan with a lid or rice cooker according to package directions. Note, just a little bit less water than package directions so that rice is cooked a little bit harder. (To make perfect sushi rice, rice should be cooked little bit harder than regular rice)
2. While rice is cooking, in a small bowl, combine rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well.
3. Make finely scrambled eggs. In a lightly oiled frying pan, pour the beaten eggs and stir with 4-5 chopsticks quickly and constantly to make finely scrambled eggs. If you don’t have chopsticks, make sure to stir quickly and constantly with fork, not to stir roughly.
4. In a bowl, scoop avocado pulp and mash. Add cream cheese, lemon juice and mayonnaise. Mix well.
5. When rice is done, transfer to the medium bowl and the mixture of vinegar, sugar and salt (see number 2) and mix gently. Don’t stir too much. Let it cool.
6. In a cake pan, place plastic wrap on the bottom of the pan, and put in scrambled eggs. Then place half of the sushi rice. Flatten the rice with fork (wet with water). Then put avocado cream cheese mixture on the sushi rice, and place the rest of the sushi rice. Press with wet fork hard to settle. Let it stand for about half an hour until sets.
7. Turn the cake pan upside down onto the plate. Remove plastic wrap. Put smoked salmon shaped roses and a couple of leaves of spinach. Serve.