Sizzling Gambas is a shrimp dish that is considered to be both an appetizer and a main dish. Although the term “Gambas” in Spanish pertain to prawns, this dish often uses medium to large sized shrimps (compared to jumbo and colossal prawns) because of price and quantity reasons. On the other hand, the “sizzling” adjective refers to the manner on how the shrimps are presented. A hot metal plate known as a sizzling plate (or fajita plate) is used to serve the dish to make it more appealing and exciting to eat.
I like this dish not only for its presentation but for its taste as well. I like having this very spicy so I put a lot of chilies and hot sauce to make it fiery. Some bars and restaurants in the Philippines serve good Gambas too. However, the shrimps are often small and few; you have to dig through the vegetables to find the shrimps. They should call it sizzling vegetables with hibi (small shrimps) instead 🙂
This same recipe was featured in my interview on Adobo Nation. I figured that some of you might want to have the exact amount of ingredients and the written cooking procedure, so here it is.
And yes… you can always drop a comment if you have questions and clarifications. Have a good day, everyone!
Sizzling Gambas Recipe
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup green chili sliced diagonally
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup cooking oil or olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion quartered
- 2 tablespoons cooking rice wine
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine lemon juice and shrimp and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Pour cooking oil in a wok of frying pan then apply heat.
- When the oil is hot enough, put-in the garlic and cook until the color turns light brown.
- Add the onions and red bell pepper then cook until the texture softens.
- Put-in the shrimps and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooking rice wine, salt, and pepper then cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Put-in the hot sauce and simmer for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and set-aside.
- Heat a sizzling plate and transfer the shrimp along with the other ingredients.
- Top with sliced green chilies and serve.
- Share and enjoy!