This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Snails with Spinach in Coconut Milk Recipe is similar to a Filipino recipe called “Ginataang Kuhol”. While the later involves golden snails (kuhol) and water spinach (kangkong), this recipe makes use of sea snails and fresh spinach; the rest of the ingredients are similar.
Have you tried preparing and cooking snails? If you have not, do not worry because the process is simple –just make sure that you wash the snails well; I use a brush to clean them up. A toothbrush is a nice tool to use because you can brush all the sides of the snail with ease. I also soak the snails in tap water for 3 hours before cooking.
It will be better if you can create an opening in the “apex” of the shell. This will help you eat the snail easily later on, without the need of a toothpick to pick the contents of the shell. Unlike kuhol, the shell of sea snails are tougher. The apex is the pointy part of the snail opposite to the huge opening. I did try to do it, but it took me some time and I did exert some effort, so I decided not to do it. I just used a toothpick to pick the snail. It tasted really good!
Try this Snails with Spinach in Coconut Milk Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs sea snails
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste bagoong alamang
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce paris
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 thumb ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute the garlic, ginger, and onion when the oil becomes hot.
- Add-in the ground black pepper and crushed red pepper. Stir.
- Pour-in the coconut milk. Let boil. Simmer (cook in low heat) for 10 minutes.
- Add-in the sea snails. Increase the heat to medium. Stir and cover. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes while gently stirring every 3 minutes.
- Put-in the spinach. Stir and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!