This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is a simple sous vide steak recipe using strip steak. This cut of beef is also known as New York Strip steak and top loin steak.
Since the steaks are cooked sous vide, we will need either a resealable freezer bag or a plastic film (for vacuum sealer) to put these into. The bag should have no air inside (vacuum) for best results. Water displacement is one method of removing air from the freezer bag. It will involve a pot or container with enough water. The air from the bag is pushed upward as the bag is submerged in water. When the water level is at the tip of the bag, carefully seal it making sure that neither air nor water is contained inside.
The steak will need to be sous vide cooked for 3 hours. Sous vide is a method of cooking wherein food is put in vacuum sealed bag or pouch and placed in a water bath with accurately regulated temperature. The temperature is lower than the average, this is the reason why it takes longer to cook. The image above shows how the steaks look like after sous vide cooking.
The result is a nice dish done the way I prefer. This is a very tender medium rare steak.
You might want to see the video on how to cook sous vide. This sous vide chicken adobo post will show you how.
Try this Sous Vide Strip Steak Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 8 oz. New York Strip Steak
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked peppercorn
- Pour enough water in a heat-safe food storage container or a pot. Set the sous vide cooker and the preheat to 133F.
- Arrange strip steak in a resealable freezer bag. Take all the air out of the bag using the water displacement method. Seal the bag.
- Soak the freezer bag with steak into the container. Sous vide cook it for 3 hours.
- Remove the steaks from the bag. Let it cool down. Rub salt and pepper all over it. Let it stay for 5 minutes.
- Heat the grill (set it to high preferably). Quickly grill one side of the steak until it turns brown. Turn it over and do the same step on the opposite side. Note: It only takes a few minutes to grill the steaks since these were already cooked
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with mashed potato or any side dishes that you like.
- Share and enjoy!