Roast Beef is a beef dish cooked by roasting in an oven. The beef is simply coated with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper before roasting. Natural juices from the meat is the main source of flavor ; drippings are also used to make the sauce (or gravy).
The taste of this dish is exceptionally superb yet the ingredients and cooking procedure are basic. All we need here is some patience (it takes quite some time to roast) and some tools (roasting pan and meat thermometer) in order to make the perfect roast beef.
This dish is great for Noche Buena or any special occassion. Though Yorkshire pudding is the best side for this dish, you might also want to pair this with baked potatoes or even rice.
Try this Roast Beef recipe.
- 3 to 4 lbs beef bottom round roast
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic divided into 3 to 4 parts (lengthwise)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 piece beef cube
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 4 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make some slit on the meat using a knife and insert each sliced garlic clove
- Spread the olive oil on the meat then sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Place the meat on a roasting rack (with dripping tray/pan) and bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 250 degrees Fahrenheit then continue baking for 2 to 2.5 hours (or until the inner temperature of the meat reaches 140 degrees Fahrenheit). Note: Do not remove from the oven right away. Let the juices from the meat drip some more so that you will have enough drippings for the gravy.
- Remove the roasted meat from the oven and allow it to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice the meat into serving pieces and transfer to a serving plate.
- We also need to prepare the sauce. The following steps will help you make a good one.
- Take the dripping pan out of the oven and place it on the stove then apply heat.
- Pour-in the red wine and deglaze the drippings then transfer to a saucepan.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add the beef cube and cook until well diluted then put-in the cornstarch. Stir continuously.
- Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl.
- Serve the Roast beef with the sauce on the side.
- Share and enjoy!