Chop Suey with Squid Balls is a version of my favorite chop suey dish that makes use of squid balls instead of chicken or pork. This is an ingredient commonly used in soups. It is also a popular street food in the Philippines.
How to Cook Squid Ball Chop Suey
Chop suey with squid balls is a family favorite. I personally like it because I love squid balls. I grew up in the Philippines enjoying different kinds of street food and squid balls fall into the top 10 on my list.
Beginners will be happy to know that this dish is easy to make. Start by cooking the chicken liver and squid balls. Do this by sauteeing onion and garlic in hot oil. Add chopped chicken liver and cook until it browns.
The oyster sauce and chicken broth goes next. I must tell you that the flavors from this dish are derived mainly from the chicken liver and oyster sauce. Adjust the amount of these ingredients depending on how flavorful you want your dish to be.
Add the squid balls once the broth starts to boil. Cover the pan and cook for around 12 minutes. This process extracts the flavors from the chicken liver and squid balls while completely cooking these ingredients.
The last steps are to add the vegetables starting from the ones that cook the longest. I do it by this order: carrot, cauliflower, snow peas or snap peas, and cabbage. Season the dish with salt and pepper and add the boiled quail eggs.
Chop Suey with Squid Ball Cooking Tips
I enjoy my veggies best when crisp, or at least not wilted. Please try not to overcook the vegetables so that you can still enjoy its texture while munching. Your dish will also be more presentable visually.
The recipe suggest the use of boiled quail eggs. Since these are already cooked, make sure to add these during the end of the cooking process. Adding eggs early will just overcook it. Avoid using canned eggs as much as possible. Fresh is way better.
Feel free to add more broth if you want your dish to be saucier. For a thicker sauce, add a mixture of 1 teaspoon cornstarch and ¼ cup water in the last step.
Try this Squid Ball Chop Suey Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Squid Ball Chop Suey
- 1 piece cabbage medium, chopped
- 12 to 15 pieces squid balls
- 2 cups snow peas
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 piece carrot sliced crosswise
- 2 pieces red bell pepper sliced
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1/4 lb chicken liver
- 10 pieces quail eggs boiled
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 piece yellow onion sliced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, saute the garlic and onion.
- Add the chicken liver. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the oyster sauce and chicken broth. Stir and let boil.
- Put-in the squid balls. Cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium. Sprinkle some ground black pepper. Stir.
- Add the carrots and cauliflower. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the snow peas and bell peppers. Toss.
- Put-in the cabbage. Cover and steam the vegetables for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover. Gently stir the ingredients and add the quail eggs.
- Add salt to taste.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Squid Ball Chop Suey