This Steamed Fish Recipe is easy to follow. All you have to do is have the fish cleaned, steam it, and then squeeze some lemon juice over it. While this description tells us the most basic manner of preparation, there are also variations that do more than this and ends up pretty tasty too.
This Steamed Fish Recipe takes a more oriental approach in preparation. Ingredients like sesame oil and soy sauce are necessary to hype the flavor. It is also recommended to make a slit on the fish so that it can absorb the sauce better. In terms of complexity, this recipe is not complicated at all. In fact, you can make this in less than 20 minutes. You must have a steamer though to be able to prepare it; a bamboo steamer or a multipurpose cooker/steamer will do.
It is recommended (but not required) that you use salt water fish for this recipe. Most of the time, salt water fish has stronger flavor compared to fresh water fish. I used a medium sized whole red snapper for this recipe. Feel free to use the kind of fish that you like, just make sure that it fits in your steamer.
I also like my other version with mayonnaise. It is delicious and very colorful.
Try this Steamed Fish Recipe and let me know what you think.
Steamed Fish with Scallions and Ginger
- 1 lb. red snapper cleaned and scales removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 pieces scallions sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 knob ginger sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
- Make a series of diagonal cut on both sides of the fish using a knife.
- Combine salt and sesame oil. Rub the mixture on the whole fish. Set aside
- Combine soy sauce, ginger, scallions, and sherry.
- Arrange the fish in a heat proof plate. Pour the soy sauce mixture on top.
- Meanwhile, heat water on a base pan and then arrange the bamboo steamer on top of the pan.
- Place the plate with fish inside the bamboo steamer. Cover and then steam for 10 to 16 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan.
- When the oil becomes hot, pour over the steamed fish
- Serve. Share and enjoy!