Tinumis is a popular dish in Nueva Ecija and its nearby neighbors. It is composed of pork slices with a souring agent such as tamarind leaves or tamarind flower. It can be prepared with or without pork blood, but it is more common to cook this dish using this ingredient.
Tinumis resembles another famous Filipino dish known as Dinuguan, which is also known as blood stew. The main difference between the two dishes has something to do with the ingredient that makes the dishes taste sour. Vinegar is used to make dinuguan, while tinumis uses either: tamarind leaves, tamarind flower, or tamarind mix.
This recipe for tinumis involves the use of “Sinigang sa Sampaloc Mix”. It provides the dish the sour flavor of tamarind and it also makes tinumis taste better. It is the same ingredient that I use to cook Sinigang dishes. I also added chopped tomato, but this is an optional ingredient.
It is important to bring out the flavor from the ingredients before adding the pork blood and souring agent. This method is known as “sangkutya” in Filipino. It involves cooking in low to medium heat while stirring the ingredients constantly. This brings out the flavor of garlic, onion, tomato, and pork while making the pork tender at the same time.
What do you eat this with? I usually eat this with rice. Sometimes I have it along with puto, which is a good side for dinuguan.
Try this Tinumis Recipe. Enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Tinumis
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Sauté the garlic until it turns medium brown.
- Add the onion. Sauté, and then add the tomato. Cook until both onion and tomato gets soft.
- Stir-in the pork and then cook until the pork gets light brown. Continue to cook in low to medium heat while constantly stirring for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the Sinigang sa Sampaloc mix. Stir.
- Pour the pork blood in the pan. Stir and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour water. Stir. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the Knorr pork cube. Stir. Cover the pot. Cook in low heat for 15 to 25 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Sprinkle some salt and ground black pepper and add the long green peppers. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, Serve.
- Share and enjoy!