Tortang talong or eggplant omelet has always been my go to dish when I do not like to eat meat, but want something decent and quick to prepare. I enjoy eating it with rice and banana ketchup. Tortang Talong with Crabmeat is even better because it has the good taste and texture of eggplant omelet plus the crabmeat.
This dish is quite easy to prepare. The video will show you the exact steps that I did, while the recipe below will show you the exact measurements of the ingredients. If you are doing this for the first time, note that the eggplant needs to be broiled or roasted (not boiled) before peeling off the skin. The traditional way to do it is to put the eggplant directly over fire or charcoal.
I used fresh crab meat that I got from the nearby grocery. These came from crab claws according to the details in the package. You can also use frozen crab meat as long as it has been thawed. If you are in the Philippines or any location where crabs are abundant, it is perfect to use the meat of a freshly steamed crab.
This is a nice dish to cook as an alternative for meat. I hope that this recipe, the cooking video, and this tip can help guide you to cook tortang talong with crab meat.
Try this Tortang Talong with Crabmeat (Eggplant Omelet with Crab) recipe. Let me know what you think.
Tortang Talong with Crabmeat (Eggplant Omelet with Crab)
- 3 medium chinese eggplants broiled for 12 minutes
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fresh crabmeat
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- a dash of ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat a pan and pour-in 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil.
- Saute the onion until soft.
- Add the crabmeat. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder.Cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and then set aside.
- Peel the eggplants. Make sure to completely remove the skin.
- Lay a piece of eggplant flat in a plate and then flatten it using a fork.
- Heat a clean pan and pour-in remaining oil.
- Dip the flattened eggplant in beaten egg. Put in the pan with oil to fry. Scoop some of the cooked crabmeat and spread on top of the eggplant. Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of beaten eggs over the meat.Push or scoop hot oil over the eggplant to partially cook the egg. This will hold the crabmeat and prevent it from falling.
- After 3 minutes, turn over the eggplant using a spatula. Cook the other side for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve!
- Share and enjoy!