This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Turon is a type of Filipino snack. It is also called deep-fried banana rolls or banana lumpia. A typical Filipino meryenda and dessert, Turon has gained popularity throughout the years.
How to Cook Turon
Start by preparing the filling. It is composed of a piece of saba banana that is sliced in half lengthwise, and a few slices of ripe jackfruit. Dredge the banana in sugar until completely coated. You may use either brown or white sugar. Arrange the banana on a lumpia wrapper and place the jackfruit slices on top of the banana. Secure the filling by wrapping. Refer to the video below on how to wrap turon. Perform this step until all the bananas are completely consumed.
The next step is to fry the banana lumpia until golden brown. However, there is an extra step to do in order to achieve the glaze on the outer part. The secret is to first pour the remaining sugar in hot oil. Wait for the sugar to melt completely, and then start to fry the wrapped bananas in batches. The caramel (melted sugar) should automatically stick on the wrapper as you fry. Remove the fried turon from the pan, and then let the excess oil drip. Let is cool down for 5 minutes before eating.
I like to have turon with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. I think that it makes a good dessert.
Try this delicious Turon Filipino Dessert Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 6 pieces bananas saba or plantains, cut in half (lengthwise)
- 1 cup jackfruit ripe, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 12 pieces lumpia wrapper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Roll the banana on the sugar plate and ensure that the banana is coated with enough sugar
- Place the banana with sugar coating in the spring roll wrapper and add some ripe jackfruit
- Fold and lock the spring roll wrapper, use water to seal the edge
- In a pan, heat the oil and put-in some sugar.Wait until the brown sugar floats
- Put-in the wrapped banana and fry until the wrapper turns golden brown and the extra sugar sticks on wrapper
- Serve hot as a dessert or snack. Share and Enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Turon