Tuyo Fish with Rice and Tomato
Tuyo fish is a type of Filipino sun dried fish. This is usually fried quickly and eaten with spicy vinegar dip and rice. Tuyo is usually consumed for breakfast in the Philippines, although this dried fish can also be eaten for anytime of the day. A recipe on how to cook tuyo fish is not…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Tuyo fish is a type of Filipino sun dried fish. This is usually fried quickly and eaten with spicy vinegar dip and rice. Tuyo is usually consumed for breakfast in the Philippines, although this dried fish can also be eaten for anytime of the day.
A recipe on how to cook tuyo fish is not really necessary. Most of us would know that the traditional way of cooking tuyo is to pan fry it quickly until the texture of tuyo turns a bit crisp. This process releases an odor (which I think is delectable) that only tuyo lovers appreciate.
If you are in the Philippines, it is acceptable to cook tuyo fish this way because the neighbors are accustomed to the smell. However, its quite different here in Chicago (or at least from my neighborhood). I must admit that frying tuyo releases a fishy smell that might upset the neighbors. As a precaution, I bake tuyo (and turn on my exhaust fan) to reduce the smell.
The simple tuyo recipe below shows how I do it. Do you have your own way of cooking tuyo? How do you do it?
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
Tuyo with Rice and Tomato
- 10 pieces tuyo salted dried fish
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 3 plum tomatoes wedged
- Cooking oil spray
- 1/2 cup spiced vinegar sinamak
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Arrange the tuyo fish in an aluminum foil sheet. Spray both sides of the fish with cooking oil. Secure the fish inside the sheet by covering with another aluminum sheet and secure the sides.
- Open your vent (this is important). Bake for 6 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the sealed sheet and arrange in individual plates with a cup of white rice and wedged tomato.
- Serve with spiced vinegar.
- Share and enjoy!
Leave a Comment