This Ginataang Tilapia Recipe is really yummy. Ginataan (or guinataan) is a Filipino cooking method that means “cooked in coconut milk”. Ginataang Tilapia is a dish where Tilapia (a fish belonging to the tilapiine cichlid tribe) is cooked in coconut milk (or cream) and served with banana peppers.
This method is popularized by the Bicolanos, the fifth-largest Filipino ethnolinguistic group that lives in the southern islands of Luzon. There are many other ingredients that can be cooked with Coconut milk but my taste buds are craving for Ginataang Tilapia as of the moment. I can’t wait to put my hands on this yummy fish.
Try this Delicious Ginataang Tilapia Recipe and let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs tilapia, cleaned (about 1 kilo)
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 knob ginger, cut into strips
- 1-2 banana pepper or finger chili
- 1½ tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
- 4 pieces red chilli pepper (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger in the hot oil
- Once the onion become soft, add the fish sauce and ground black pepper. Stir.
- Pour in the coconut cream and stir. Let boil and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the banana pepper and tilapia. Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes. Add some water if needed.
- Put-in the red chillies. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer for about a minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve Hot. Share and Enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: