This Ginataang Tilapia Recipe is really yummy. Ginataan (or guinataan) is a Filipino cooking method that means “cooked in coconut milk”. Ginataang Tilapia is a dish where Tilapia (a fish belonging to the tilapiine cichlid tribe) is cooked in coconut milk (or cream) and served with banana peppers.
This method is popularized by the Bicolanos, the fifth-largest Filipino ethnolinguistic group that lives in the southern islands of Luzon. There are many other ingredients that can be cooked with Coconut milk but my taste buds are craving for Ginataang Tilapia as of the moment. I can’t wait to put my hands on this yummy fish.
Try this Delicious Ginataang Tilapia Recipe and let me know what you think.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 4
- 2 lbs tilapia, cleaned (about 1 kilo or 2 to 3 pcs)
- 3 cups coconut cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 knob ginger, cut into strips
- 1-2 banana pepper or finger chili
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste (bagoong)
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Sauté garlic, ginger, and onions in hot oil
- Add the shrimp paste and fish sauce
- Pour in the coconut cream and stir until natural oil from the coconut cream comes out
- Add the banana pepper and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes
- Lower the heat and add the tilapia and Simmer for 7 to 10 minutes
- Add the spinach and simmer for about a minute
- Serve Hot. Share and Enjoy!