Ginataang Tilapia Recipe

This Ginataang Tilapia Recipe is really yummy. Ginataan (or guinataan) is a Filipino cooking method that means “cooked in coconut milk”. Ginataang Tilapia is a dish where Tilapia (a fish belonging to the tilapiine cichlid tribe) is cooked in coconut milk (or cream) and served with banana peppers.

This method is popularized by the Bicolanos, the fifth-largest Filipino ethnolinguistic group that lives in the southern islands of Luzon. There are many other ingredients that can be cooked with Coconut milk but my taste buds are craving for Ginataang Tilapia as of the moment. I can’t wait to put my hands on this yummy fish.

Ginataang Tilapia

Try this Delicious Ginataang Tilapia Recipe and let me know what you think.

Ginataang Tilapia Recipe

Cuisine: Filipino Recipe
  • 2 lbs tilapia, cleaned (about 1 kilo)
  • 2 cups coconut cream
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 1 medium onion, finely sliced
  • 1 knob ginger, cut into strips
  • 1-2 banana pepper or finger chili
  • 1½ tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
  • 4 pieces red chilli pepper (optional)
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cups fresh spinach
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  1. Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot.
  2. Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger in the hot oil
  3. Once the onion become soft, add the fish sauce and ground black pepper. Stir.
  4. Pour in the coconut cream and stir. Let boil and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes.
  5. Add the banana pepper and tilapia. Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes. Add some water if needed.
  6. Put-in the red chillies. Cook for 3 minutes.
  7. Add the spinach and simmer for about a minute.
  8. Transfer to a serving plate.
  9. Serve Hot. Share and Enjoy!

Recommended for you

Comments

1. I really love your website Kuya. I just got married and this site really helps me. When I was still single I never knew how to cook. LOL. Thats because I was workaholic… So, Thank you sooo much.

2. liza edpao says:

can u please send me the recipe for …..its like palitaw but has sweet sauce with latik i dont know if they call it latik like palitaw that comes with latik in juice or sauce, its a desert.

3. Nice site…i love tilapia a lot kc malaman cya pero prito lng, try to cook your ginataang tilapia this holy week , ask ko lng wat sa tagalog ang banana pepper? thnks God bless

4. Liza Fe says:

thank you very much…your reioes are so simple but sooo wonnnderrrrful!

5. Mickey, you may use patis.

6. noriko says:

Wow! Timing ito. I’m craving for fish in coconut milk. Gagawin ko ito mamya with few changes. Thanks for sharing… :)

7. jonah says:

you may try frying the fish first before putting it in the simmering coconut milk. that way, the fish won’t get mashed up even if you simmer it a little longer, or if you want the sauce to dry up a little bit. my husband’s good at cooking this recipe.. =)

8. I used coconut cream medyo matamis. Cream or milk po ba?

9. retchel says:

ask lng po kuna ano ang alternate ng lye water…la po kc akong nakikita dito sa mall

10. thanks po sa recipe cause aside from being healthy sa katawan ay delicious pa cya

11. aurora nocomora says:

thank you sa website ng panlasang pinoy dahil marami akong natutunang lutuin… more power and God Bless!

12. saramuel says:

i made it! super delicious…as feedback! hihihi

13. thanks for this easy and good recipe! i did not use tilapia in this recipe, a diff fish and the taste is so great!

14. Mary Ann says:

hi!
    thank you sa pag share nang mga recipes.. di namin ma miss ang pagkaing pinoy, hopefully you will post more recipes.. thanks again

15. I tried your recipes (Siopao Asado and Ginataang Tilapia) and I am impressed. I really don’t cook, but now that the real estate market is slow, I tried cooking. Now I can eat all the Filipino food that I miss so much. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. I will be trying more of your recipes, and your website is now bookmarked in my computer.

16. It’s my first time to visit this web and I just tried to make the butchi.Is it okay if I add a little sugar sa mixture of sweet rice flour,kasi ang tabang iyong labas ng butchi.Sir,mukhang ang bilis gayahin basta with video at nakakagutom once I see the outcome in your video.Thanks you.I think I can learn to cook many kinds of recipes using your web.

17. newdam says:

pre…you can also try to grill the tilapia before cooking in coconut milk. it adds a smokey flavor to the dish. btw, this is adam.

18. Jing Yerkic says:

Helo po thanks sa recipe na to..I’m actually cooking it right now..I used pechay po instead of spinach ^__^

19. edwin says:

mr. pansalang pinoy! maraming THANK YOU sa website mo; malaking tulong ito sa mga tulad kong nasa saudi. tanong lang sana, dito kc ang gata eh nakalata, meron ding powder. can i use any of those? evident lang na hindi naglalangis, basta nabula lang ang gata.

also, is it possible to use pechay instead of mustard or spinach leaves?

THANK YOU again.. and i already started to give your website link sa mga tropa ko, lalo dun sa may mga asawa dito.

by the way, it was only this afternoon that i came across your website thru google – kung pano ko nakita di ko na maalala waaaah. hehehe

20. Hello,
    Thank you very much sa site mo, marami kaming matutunan dito.
    God Bless..

21. hello, good day,, just to ask if how can i download those recipe’s. thanks and more power to you… panlasang pinoy helps a lot… most specially for the people needs to know the basics of cooking and doesn’t have a money and enough time to enroll at a culinary schools…. thanks again…

22. Maria says:

Is it okey to use the coconut milk instead of coconut cream?

23. hnd nba lalagyan ng suka?

24. Thanks! I love this dish!

25. I just tried this now for lunch… and I can smell that it’s going to be fab! Thanks!

26. Thank you talaga kuya sa mga recipe may bago na naman akong lulutuin para sa asawa at mga anak. Malaki lataga ang naitutulong mo kuya. God bless and good health.

Josie of Canada

27. I had accidentally watched your cooking video in youtube and after that I was hooked! I love to cook for my family, but sometimes I will run out of ideas what to cook for the week. Your site has been very inspiring and I learn more, I really appreciate what you are doing for all the Filipinos around the world who wants a taste of home. More power!

28. Daniel, ako nga ito hehe. Kamusta na? Buti naman at nakadalaw ka.

29. Welcome Alexis. How did you find your stay here?

I’m not sure I understand what you meant by coconut milk for dessert. Are you are trying to say that it is somewhat a “sweet coconut milk” (the one with sugar)? If so, I’m afraid that you can’t use it because the taste of the dish would change.

30. Alexis says:

Hi Kuya, I’m a newbie when it comes to cooking and saw this recipe a very easy one. Just have a slight prob, I bought the coconut milk ‘for dessert’ by mistake. Can I still use it?

Thanks!

31. robelyn says:

hi! sir bka pwde mkhinge ng tip n recipe for the 2nd bday of my son ung recipe n pngmerienda lng gsto kng handa.. sna mtulngn m ako.. gobless pki email nlng poh s kn ha.. tanx

32. Thanks for visiting Benjamin. By the way, you have a nice site.

33. Thanks for this. I tried it and it was delicious!

34. Betty Sanntos says:

Delicious!!!! I love it.

35. Thanks Betty. Appreciate it. Keep on cooking!

36. Robelyn, just sent my answer via email. Please check it out.

Paleo Cook Book (sponsor)