Ginataang Tilapia Recipe

This Ginataang Tilapia Recipe is really yummy. Ginataan (or guinataan) is a Filipino cooking method that means “cooked in coconut milk”. Ginataang Tilapia is a dish where Tilapia (a fish belonging to the tilapiine cichlid tribe) is cooked in coconut milk (or cream) and served with banana peppers.

This method is popularized by the Bicolanos, the fifth-largest Filipino ethnolinguistic group that lives in the southern islands of Luzon. There are many other ingredients that can be cooked with Coconut milk but my taste buds are craving for Ginataang Tilapia as of the moment. I can’t wait to put my hands on this yummy fish.

Ginataang Tilapia

Try this Delicious Ginataang Tilapia Recipe and let me know what you think.

Ginataang Tilapia Recipe

Cuisine: Filipino Recipe
    • 2 lbs tilapia, cleaned (about 1 kilo)
    • 2 cups coconut cream
    • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
    • 1 medium onion, finely sliced
    • 1 knob ginger, cut into strips
    • 1-2 banana pepper or finger chili
    • 1 1/2 tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
    • 4 pieces red chilli pepper (optional)
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 2 cups fresh spinach
    • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
    1. Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot.
    2. Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger in the hot oil
    3. Once the onion become soft, add the fish sauce and ground black pepper. Stir.
    4. Pour in the coconut cream and stir. Let boil and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes.
    5. Add the banana pepper and tilapia. Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes. Add some water if needed.
    6. Put-in the red chillies. Cook for 3 minutes.
    7. Add the spinach and simmer for about a minute.
    8. Transfer to a serving plate.
    9. Serve Hot. Share and Enjoy!

Comments

1. Thank you panlasang pinoy. old enough but cant cook. Thank you for sharing easy to cook dishes with techniques. They thought ive been cooking for a long time already.

2. Yummy…..i feel hungry this time … i eant to cook like that.mmmmmmmp

3. Richard C.V. says:

Dear Vanjo,
      Thank you very much on your numerous recipe of yours..got your emailed copies..Do you have a hard copies for sale? I mean a book of it with all your recipes on it..
      Thanks ,
      richard

4. I really love your website Kuya. I just got married and this site really helps me. When I was still single I never knew how to cook. LOL. Thats because I was workaholic… So, Thank you sooo much.

5. liza edpao says:

can u please send me the recipe for …..its like palitaw but has sweet sauce with latik i dont know if they call it latik like palitaw that comes with latik in juice or sauce, its a desert.

6. i know na siling pangsigang ..right? thnks

7. Liza Fe says:

thank you very much…your reioes are so simple but sooo wonnnderrrrful!

8. Mickey, you may use patis.

9. you may try frying the fish first before putting it in the simmering coconut milk. that way, the fish won’t get mashed up even if you simmer it a little longer, or if you want the sauce to dry up a little bit. my husband’s good at cooking this recipe.. =)

10. thanks po sa recipe cause aside from being healthy sa katawan ay delicious pa cya

11. saramuel says:

i made it! super delicious…as feedback! hihihi

12. thanks for this easy and good recipe! i did not use tilapia in this recipe, a diff fish and the taste is so great!

13. Mary Ann says:

hi!
      thank you sa pag share nang mga recipes.. di namin ma miss ang pagkaing pinoy, hopefully you will post more recipes.. thanks again

14. I tried your recipes (Siopao Asado and Ginataang Tilapia) and I am impressed. I really don’t cook, but now that the real estate market is slow, I tried cooking. Now I can eat all the Filipino food that I miss so much. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. I will be trying more of your recipes, and your website is now bookmarked in my computer.

15. It’s my first time to visit this web and I just tried to make the butchi.Is it okay if I add a little sugar sa mixture of sweet rice flour,kasi ang tabang iyong labas ng butchi.Sir,mukhang ang bilis gayahin basta with video at nakakagutom once I see the outcome in your video.Thanks you.I think I can learn to cook many kinds of recipes using your web.

16. newdam says:

pre…you can also try to grill the tilapia before cooking in coconut milk. it adds a smokey flavor to the dish. btw, this is adam.

17. Jing Yerkic says:

Helo po thanks sa recipe na to..I’m actually cooking it right now..I used pechay po instead of spinach ^__^

18. hello, good day,, just to ask if how can i download those recipe’s. thanks and more power to you… panlasang pinoy helps a lot… most specially for the people needs to know the basics of cooking and doesn’t have a money and enough time to enroll at a culinary schools…. thanks again…

19. Is it okey to use the coconut milk instead of coconut cream?

20. hnd nba lalagyan ng suka?

21. Thanks! I love this dish!

22. I just tried this now for lunch… and I can smell that it’s going to be fab! Thanks!

23. I had accidentally watched your cooking video in youtube and after that I was hooked! I love to cook for my family, but sometimes I will run out of ideas what to cook for the week. Your site has been very inspiring and I learn more, I really appreciate what you are doing for all the Filipinos around the world who wants a taste of home. More power!

24. Welcome Alexis. How did you find your stay here?

I’m not sure I understand what you meant by coconut milk for dessert. Are you are trying to say that it is somewhat a “sweet coconut milk” (the one with sugar)? If so, I’m afraid that you can’t use it because the taste of the dish would change.

25. Alexis says:

Hi Kuya, I’m a newbie when it comes to cooking and saw this recipe a very easy one. Just have a slight prob, I bought the coconut milk ‘for dessert’ by mistake. Can I still use it?

Thanks!

26. Robelyn, just sent my answer via email. Please check it out.

27. Thanks for visiting Benjamin. By the way, you have a nice site.

28. Thanks for this. I tried it and it was delicious!

29. Betty Sanntos says:

Delicious!!!! I love it.

30. Thanks Betty. Appreciate it. Keep on cooking!