Pork Menudo is the number one on the list of my comfort foods and it’s hard for me to last a month without trying one — literally. Some would say that I am addicted to this food while others would use the term “obsession”, I just simply look at it as a necessity – a basic necessity that I cannot live without.
In almost every Philippine town fiestas or gatherings, Pork Menudo can be seen in the dining table. This is one of the favorite “putahe” (dish) served and this was the reason why different variations of this dish existed. Many Pork Menudo recipes include hotdogs (pinoy red hotdogs), green peas, or garbanzos and others would add sun dried raisins too. I think that it is a regional thing because almost different provinces have their own version. I must admit that all variation tastes as good as everyone else but I prefer the version that I grew up eating, “Ang lutong bahay ni nanay” (my mom’s cooking).
Update: There are some people asking if they can use Filipino spaghetti sauce as an alternative for tomato sauce. I do not see it as an issue. In fact, I use it sometimes to cook Menudo and other tomato based dishes. The Filipino store is 30 minutes from my place; getting these ingredients online (if there is no immediate need) is beneficial for me.
Try this delicious Filipino Menudo Recipe.
- 2 lbs. pork
- 1/4 lb. pig liver
- 1 cup potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 piece lemon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 4 pieces hotdogs, sliced diagonally
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 to 3 pieces dried bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine pork, soysauce, and lemon in a bowl. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a pan
- Saute garlic and onion.
- Add the marinated pork. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce and water and then add the bay leaves.Let boil and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour depending on the toughness of the pork. Note: Add water as necessary.
- Add-in the liver and hot dogs.Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in potatoes, carrots, sugar,salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for 8 to 12 minutes.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: