Lechon kawali or Pan-roasted pork to some is different from Lechon, the well known Filipino dish which is also the national dish of the Philippines. While lechon is cooked in a pit filled with flamed charcoal, Lechon kawali is cooked by boiling then later deep frying a portion of the pig (pork belly usually) .
Little is known about the history of this dish. I just got acquanted with it during my high school days at Benedictine Abbey School (now its San Beda College, Alabang). I can clearly remember how the aroma of this dish fills the whole ERV canteen and also the long line that I need to pass just to order Lechon kawali. As I grew up, I learned that this can also be a good pulutan(appetizer) and is best complimented by the traditional lechon sauce or spicy vinegar.
I like lechon kawali because I enjoy eating it as a main dish. I have this with warm steamed rice and some lechon sauce for dipping. Because of this admiration to this dish, I tried to devise a lechon kawali recipe that does not call for the pork to be frozen. This saves a lot of time.
Try this delicious Lechon Kawali Recipe and let me know what you think.
Lechon Kawali Recipe
- 2 lbs pork belly
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 5 pcs dried bay leaves
- 3 cups cooking Oil
- 34 ounces Water
- Place the water on a big cooking pot and bring to a boil
- Put-in the pork belly then add 1 tbsp of salt, pepper, and bay leaves and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender
- Remove the meat from the pot and let it cool down for a few minutes
- Spread 1 tbsp of salt on the meat, make sure to distribute it evenly on all sections
- We now need to deep fry the meat. On a dry cooking pot place the cooking oil and heat it up
- When the oil is hot enough, put the meat in the cooking pot and let it cook until the immersed side is brown and the meat’s texture is crispy
- Flip the meat to cook the opposite side
- Remove the meat from the pan, let it cool down a little then slice according to desired portions
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6
Watch the cooking video: