Pinoy Spaghetti or Filipino Spaghetti is the Filipino version of spaghetti. This version of spaghetti requires the use of sugar, hotdogs, and banana ketchup. It might be peculiar to some, but these ingredients brings up a whole new flavor that is totally Filipino.
Children love this dish and every kiddie party won’t be complete without it. Fast Food chains such as Jollibee and McDonald’s in the Philippines even have their own Pinoy Spaghetti version (mostly included in the kid’s meal). Yup, that isn’t any typographical error; In the Philippines, Mcdonald’s serves spaghetti. They called it McSpaghetti.
Though this dish is just a variation, Filipino spaghetti deserves to be listed in our collection of Filipino Recipes. I like this recipe in particular because the flavor is just right. It is common for this type of dish to have a sweet tasting sauce, I liked it better because of its meaty taste, which I think is exceptional.
How to Cook Pinoy Spaghetti
The sauce for Filipino spaghetti is made sweeter and there are other unique ingredients added, such as banana ketchup and sliced hot dogs.
Start by preparing the noodles. Cook it according to package instructions for best results. Set the noodles aside when done. Cook the meat sauce by sauteing onions and garlic first, and then add the ground meat once the onions are soft. You can use either ground beef or pork, but I prefer pork better. Continue to cook the meat until brown. Add the hot dog, ketchup, and tomato based sauces. You can also add a cup of beef broth if you want your sauce to taste more meaty. You will have to add more cooking time if you do this because you will need the sauce to reduce and get thicker. Lastly, add some salt and pepper according to your taste.
Arrange a serving of noodles in a plate and then top with the Filipino Spaghetti meat sauce. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese or quickmelt cheese on top.
Try this delicious Pinoy Spaghetti Recipe and let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs Spaghetti
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 36 ounces Water (about 1 liter)
- 1 big bottle banana ketchup
- 1 big can Tomato sauce (approximately 4 cups)
- ½ cup Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 ½ lbs Ground Meat (pork or beef)
- 4 pcs Hotdogs, sliced
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown Sugar
- 1 medium sized Onion, diced
- Cheddar Cheese
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- In a large pot, pour the water in and bring to a boil
- Put-in the salt
- Add the Spaghetti Noodles and cook until tender (see package for cooking time) then set aside
- Using a separate pan, saute the garlic and onions
- Put-in the round meat and let cook for 5 minutes
- Add the hotdogs and cook for 2 minutes
- Put-in the tomato sauce, banana catsup, tomato paste, and brown sugar then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
- Place the sauce on top of the cooked noodles and add some cheese
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!