Binagoongan or Pork Binagoongan is an authentic Filipino Recipe. This Pork Binagoongan recipe involves pork being sauteed in tomato and stewed in shrimp paste. The dish is then garnished with slices of chili before serving.
In this Binagoongan recipe, the shrimp paste has the most dominant flavor. In order to balance the salty taste, a reasonable amount of vinegar along with some water are added. This can also be balanced by not placing too much shrimp paste. It is recommended that you start with half the amount of the required shrimp paste. Try to taste for saltiness, you can add more shrimp paste until the saltiness is tailored to your preference.
Try this Pork Binagoongan Recipe. Enjoy!
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 6
- 2 lbs. Pork, cubed
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 5 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 pc chili (banana pepper, Jalapeno, or long chili pepper), sliced
- ½ cup shrimp paste
- 3-5 pcs. dried bay leaves
- 1 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 24 ounces water
- salt and pepper
- In a cooking pot, pour-in the water and bring to a boil
- Put-in the pork, vinegar, and dried bay leaves and simmer for 35 minutes or until meat is tender
- Remove the meat from the pot separating it from the liquid and other ingredients. set aside
- In a separate pan, saute the garlic, onion, tomato
- Add the shrimp paste and simmer for 5 minutes (more time is needed for raw shrimp paste)
- Put the pork in and cook for 7 minutes. Be sure to mix all the ingredients well
- Add the chili and simmer for 3 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: