A beef soup comprised of shank with bone marrow still inside the bone, Bulalo is considered to be one of the most favorite main dishes in the Philippines. Because of the popularity of this Filipino food, restaurants and eateries specializing in cooking Bulalo were put-up.Some of the famous “Bulalohan” can be found in Tagaytay City (Cavite) and Sto. Tomas (Batangas). Commercial restaurants also include Bulalo in their menu.
You do not need to exert much effort to prepare this dish. However, time and patience is necessary. you see, the key in preparing good bulalo is all in the meat. You should choose the appropriate meat (we are using shanks) and make it as tender as possible. Simmering beef or any other meat for longer periods of time makes it tender and releases all of its flavor. This is probably the reason why traditionally cooked Filipino Recipes tastes better — time and patience is always part of the ingredient.
I like to have bulalo during cold days. Sipping the soup alone makes me feel comfortable. This bulalo recipe that we have here is my favorite because it is the simplest yet it produces an excellent dish.
Try this Bulalo recipe and let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs beef shank
- ½ pc small cabbage, whole leaf individually detached
- 1 small bundle Pechay
- 3 pcs Corn, each cut into 3 parts
- 2 tbsp Whole pepper corn
- ½ cup Green onions
- 1 medium sized onion
- 34 ounces water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (optional)
- In a big cooking pot, pour in water and bring to a boil
- Put-in the beef shank followed by the onion and whole pepper corn then simmer for 1.5 hours (30 mins if using a pressure cooker) or until meat is tender.
- Add the corn and simmer for another 10 minutes
- Add the fish sauce,cabbage, pechay, and green onion (onion leeks)
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: