This Chicken Curry Recipe is the Filipino version of Chicken Curry. Just like any other chicken curry dishes, this has a nice rich flavor and aroma that you will surely love.
How did this Chicken Curry Recipe came into being? It can be traced many years back. The Philippines is considered as the melting pot of Asia. People of different race and origin call it their home. Along with themselves, these people (migrants, traders, and colonizers) brought their culture, tradition, and food. This is the reason why spices such as curry has made its debut in the Philippine Cuisine. There were also some evidence of Indian trade during the early years of the Philippines. It is possible that Indian traders (and settlers, as well) introduced the dish to the Filipinos and supplied the spices to keep the trade business moving.
Another Filipino Recipe that has a resemblance with Chicken Curry is “Ginataang Manok” (chicken cooked in coconut milk). The only noticeable difference between the two is that Ginataang Manok does not use any strong spices.
I like this chicken curry recipe because it is easy to prepare. Although we used commercialized curry powder, I made sure that I chose the brand with the best quality. You see, traditional Chicken curry is made by combining different spices to turn them into curry. What we have here is a quick variation that produces almost the similar quality.
Try this Chicken Curry Recipe and send me your feedback.
Chicken Curry Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 big potato, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2 inches length
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 thumb ginger, cut into strips
- 1 cup water
Watch the cooking video:
- Pan-fry the potato and set aside
- Pan-fry the chicken and set aside
- In the pan where the chicken was pan-fried, sauté the garlic, onion and ginger
- Add the pan-fried chicken, fish sauce, and curry powder
- Add water and simmer until the chicken is tender
- Put-in the red bell pepper, celery, and pan fried-potato then simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the coconut milk and mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6