Dinuguan Recipe

Dinuguan is a dish that is mainly comprised of pork meat (and most often pork innards such as small and large intestines) and pork blood. This is also known as “Blood Stew” or Pork Blood Stew. Even though some Southeast Asian and European countries have their own pork blood dishes, Dinuguan is considered unique due to the use vinegar and long green pepper.

In this version, you will notice that brown sugar is one of the key ingredients. This is not mainly used as a substitute for MSG (as I would say in my other videos) but rather something that needs emphasis. If you love Goldilocks Dinuguan then you know what I mean ;).

I used to eat Dinuguan that tastes gamy because the blood was not cooked well. There are some that is too sour because of the excessive use of vinegar and sometime there is a little vinegar at all. These are some of the reasons why people would not dare to eat another Dinuguan dish again (we all know the main reason is NOT knowing how it was prepared). This recipe delivers the exact taste and texture intended for the dish. I’m not saying that this is the best recipe around but it will be better if you’ll be the judge.

Try this Dinuguan Recipe and let me know what you think.

Dinuguan

Dinuguan Recipe

Cuisine: Filipino Recipe
    • 1 lb pork loin, cut into cubes
    • 1 cup vinegar
    • 2 pcs long green pepper
    • 1½ tbsp brown sugar
    • 1 medium sized onion, chopped finely
    • 1 tbsp garlic, minced
    • 1 tbsp cooking oil
    • 1 cup water
    • 10 oz pork blood
    1. Sauté the garlic and onion in a pan
    2. Add the pork and sauté for about 5 mins
    3. If you like it to be more tasty, you may add 1 pork or beef cube followed by a cup or two of water.
    4. Simmer until the water is almost gone to tenderize the meat
    5. Add the pork blood and mix well. Let this simmer for 10 minutes
    6. Add the vinegar. Simmer for 15 minutes.
    7. Put the brown sugar in followed by the long green pepper and simmer for 2 minutes
    8. Serve hot
    9. Enjoy your meal!

Thanks for sharing this post! I appreciate you.

Comments

1. Hello!
      I am in the process of cooking this dish. May I know what kind of vinegar did you use white, cider,cane vinegar, or something like Datu Puti. The reason why I am asking ,is, all I have in my pantry is apple cider vinegar. I find this vinegar a little bit tart so I reduced it to 1/3 cup of vinegar. BTW, thanks for sharing. Medyo maasim pa so I had to increase the amount of brown sugar to balance the taste. Everything is perfect except this aspect. Do you any more suggestions.
      Thanks again.

2. Darly Eden Navarroza says:

Hi! Mr Vanjo, Thank you for sharing with us of your culinary expertise.I hope this will gonna help me sort out dinuguan as partner to d puto which i am planning to prepare for my friend -co OFW in d kingdom too, na assigned sa jobsite ng ARAMCO projects which is 900km away from the city proper of Dammam n Al Khobar, so expected wala sila mabilhan doon ng ingredients much as they wanted to cook some…kaya eto with your help..I hope i kud sort this out in few days time he he he…
      I will let you know of the developments soon after i prepare one ok po… , Thank you

3. karen vitriolo says:

Hello Vanjo,

I love Dinuguan but I only eat the ones prepared by family and really close friends. Sometimes, I eat at Goldilocks and Kanin Club’s Crispy Dinuguan when I crave for it.

At 7:00 this morning, I went to Farmers’ Market in Cubao to purchase some fruits and veggies. Suddenly, I just craved for Dinuguan so bought pork and pork’s blood so I can experiment at home. I have not cooked this ever, since I’m more of pasta, baked fish and salad eater.

I was looking for Dinuguan’s recipe and cooking directions. I opened several sites but the ones that I love most is your version. I am about to cook the Dinuguan shortly. Thanks for sharing your recipe. The video is very helpful. Thanks po.

4. I didn’t expect that cooking Filipino food can be easy, thanks to you. You make it so simple and fun yet true to the taste. I know how to cook basic Filipino food like adobo and sinigang but that ever since I discovered your site, I always ask my husband to challenge me to cook something new. I’m a huge fan!

5. hi,

i really love eating dinuguan, but since i worked here in Jeddah, never nako nakakain ng dinuguan. i would like to ask, is there other way of cooking dinuguan without the pork? any alternative recipe sir?
      thanks.

6. christian allarde says:

Hi Vanjo,

When I was little I used to love eating this that was because people would tell me that it is chocolate meat, but as I grew older and found out it was blood that we were eating I stopped from eating it. But I want to learn to cook it.

7. di po ba lalagyan ng asin ang dinuguan?
      tnx!

8. I always thought I’d never learn to make dinuguan but your recipe and video made it look so easy. I shared a link to your blog on my latest post: http://desiretoacquire.blogspot.com/2010/11/sunday-supper-filipino-stew.html

I look forward to making your chicken pochero next weekend.

Thanks!

9. Ponyang, try this dinuguan lamang-loob version http://panlasangpinoy.com/2010/09/13/dinuguan-laman-loob/

10. LUCHIE MCCANN says:

hello kuya ,di po ba lalagyan ng asin ang dinuguan?

11. rinz manuel says:

like the background!!not sure kong merong pork blood d2 sa Spain..i should have try this paguwi ng Pinas..thank u so much for sharing!!!

12. My wife cook at home, I lost confident for cooking because she dont like the taste. Since i apply your Recipes, She admitted that I am the best Cook. I owe you all that.More Powers, thanks for sharing. May God Bless you and your Family. Lolobosing of Vienna austria

13. aures gregorio says:

Hi,

It’s been a long time since I ate honecooked dinuguan as I do not know how the mixture goes. Our help before just mixed it ti her taste and now she’s married and were left with juts memories.

Now – we are ready to try again. thanks for the very detailed description of your cooking. it gives us the confidence to do it on our own. I will blog next week when I’ved tried it. meantine – be safe!

14. I’m not really sure kung magiiba ang lasa pero magiiba ang lasa dahil di ko pa nasubukan, heidi. Maybe our some of our readers who tried that might let us know.

15. hi there….thanks for sharing all your recipes sobrang nag-e-enjoy ako at tinatry ko talaga…galing!!!
      i really want dinuguan and i’ve craving for this one…kaya lang i have a problem i can’t find any pork blood here in Singapore, hindi sya allowed here. is there any substitute or suggestion that i could still make dinuguan even w/o the pork blood (sounds weird i know) but just need your help baka may suggestion ka…thank u so much…mabuhay ka!

16. Thanks Elmer. Glad you liked our humble blog.

17. OMG!!! I just saw this. Tagal tagal ko nang di nakakain nito. Maybe 8 years??? I want to make it pero wala akong makitang pork blood dito :-(

18. rosalina says:

hi , happy new year to you. i would like to ask where can i buy pork blood in canada. is frozen blood okay to use?

• you can find Pampanga brand pig’s blood in the frozen department in most Asian stores. you can thaw it ahead of time. they also sell fresh pig’s blood as well ;-)

19. Vanessa says:

It’ll be more tasty if you’ll add some Bay leaf to this recipe.

20. Hello…
      My name is Malou and I tried some of your recipe and I love it.I also reccomend it to my friends to visit your website, because they love your recipes.Anyway, I am just wondering if you know how to make sticky rice na binalot sa banana leave.Kc I know na isa yan sa mga tradistional sa atin.Thank you and mabuhay po kayo at ang iyong pamilya.