Dinuguan is a dish that is mainly comprised of pork meat and blood. Sometimes pork innards such as small and large intestines along with other internal parts of the pig are added. This is also known as “Blood Stew”or Pork Blood Stew.
The difference of Filipino Dinuguan with similar looking dishes from other countries are its unique ingredients. The use of vinegar and long green peppers makes this unique from other dishes that makes use of pork blood.
You will notice that brown sugar is one of the key ingredients in this version . This is not mainly used as a substitute for MSG as I would say in my other videos. The sugar is added to help improve the overall taste of the stew. You should be able to appreciate this version if you love the taste of Goldilocks version.
I have tasted gamy version of dinuguan before, and it was scary. I think that it tasted that way because the blood was not cooked well or it was not prepared properly. There are also sour version of blood stew because of excessive use of vinegar. These are some of the reasons why people are afraid to try eating this dish after their first try. It is important that you are aware on how your dinuguan is prepared. This will give you confidence and will power to have it again and be able to develop an acquired taste for it.
This recipe delivers the exact taste and texture intended for the dish. I’m not saying that this is the best recipe around but it will be better if you’ll be the judge.
Try this Dinuguan Recipe and let me know what you think.
- 1 lb pork loin cut into cubes
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 pcs long green pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 medium sized onion chopped finely
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup water
- 10 oz pork blood
- Sauté the garlic and onion in a pan
- Add the pork and sauté for about 5 mins
- If you like it to be more tasty, you may add 1 pork or beef cube followed by a cup or two of water.
- Simmer until the water is almost gone to tenderize the meat
- Add the pork blood and mix well. Let this simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the vinegar. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put the brown sugar in followed by the long green pepper and simmer for 2 minutes
- Serve hot
- Enjoy your meal!