What is Banana Ketchup? Most people outside or the Philippines are not aware about it. It is a condiment made from mashed bananas, vinegar, seasoning, and spices. It is very popular in the Philippines.
Being away from the Philippines means missing most of its bounty; particularly Filipino food and authentic Filipino condiments. Most of our kababayans overseas can attest to what I’m saying. I’m quite lucky here in Illinois because there are Filipino and Asian stores around that sell Filipino food products. I can go any day to grab my favorite banana catsup.
What about our other kababayans who don’t have the convenience of having any Filipino store nearby? Where would they get their banana catsup to cook Filipino Spaghetti ? As I was searching around, I found an interesting post on how to make homemade Banana Catsup. Below are the things necessary to make one. Hope this helps.
If you have extra time and are curious on how to make homemade banana ketchup, you should try this Banana Ketchup Recipe. Enjoy.
- 2 lbs saging na saba (bananas), cleaned
- 17 pieces birds eye chili, crushed and minced
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 lbs brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon coloring - choco brown
- 0.18 ounces sodium benzoate
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coloring - ketchup red
- 1 head onion, chopped
- 1 piece red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 100 ounces water
- 3.6 ounces iodized salt
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, crushed
- Put water in a large pot and let boil.
- Put in the bananas and boil for 12 minutes. Remove from the pot and let cool.
- When the bananas have cooled, peel them and divide each into 3 pieces by slicing.
- Combine bananas, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Place in a blender with 2 cups of water and blend for seconds. Note: this can be done by batch.
- Place the mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add chili, all the spices, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Place the mixture in a large pot and cook for 60 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Put-in the food coloring and sod benzoate. Stir until well blended.
- Let the mixture cool and transfer to jars or containers.