Espasol Recipe

Espasol is a type of rice cake that is made of rice flour cooked in coconut milk. This cyclindricaly shaped treat originated from the Province of Laguna and is visible in almost all bus stops and “pasalubong” stores.

Like the other famous rice-puddings (or kakanin), there are various ways in making Espasol. I’ll be showing you one of the simple ways on how to make this fabulous dessert. Say adiue to your cravings and start making your own delicous Espasol.

Try this Espasol recipe and let me know what you think.

Espasol

Espasol Recipe

• 3 cups glutinous rice flour, toasted
  • 1/2 cup sweet rice flour, toasted
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 cups coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 cups grated coconut, toasted
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence

1. In a cooking pot, pour-in the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
  2. Add the sugar and stir continously for 10 minutes.
  3. Put-in the toasted grated coconut and cook for 5 minutes.
  4. Add the vanilla essence and toasted rice flour and cook for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until the mixture becomes really thick while folding.
  5. Remove the mixture from the pot and allow to cool down.
  6. Dust the toasted sweet rice flour in a flat surface.
  7. Divide the mixture into parts and roll over the dusted sweet rice flour until a cylindrical shape is formed.
  8. Slice according to your preference.
  9. Put in a serving plate or wrap in paper or banana leaf. Share and enjoy!

How to toast the rice flour

1. Place a pan large enough to accomadate the rice flour on top of a stove and apply low heat.
  2. Put the rice flour in the pan and allow to toast while continously mixing until the color turns light brown.
  3. Remove the toasted rice flour from the pan and transfer to a bowl or large container

How to toast the grated coconut

1. Place a pan on top of a stove and apply low heat.
  2. Put the grated coconut in the pan and allow to toast while continously mixing until the color turns light brown.
  3. Remove the toasted grated coconut from the pan and transfer to a bowl

Comments

1. Jonalyn Montanez says:

Please post the receipes of sapin – sapin, ang mga menu nyo ay malaking tulong sakin dito sa abroad kasi nakakapag part time ako ng pagtitinda ng mga nagagaya ko ng menu sa inyo extra income, now i have dream na makpagpatayo ng business. thanks a lot….

2. Samantha says:

Thanks you for your recipes….dito ako natutong gumawa ng embutido..yemas..etc!!! Imagine, nagawa ko yung embutido…gumawa ako ng marami for my sons bday..and everyone loved it! I will be making this espasol later….ang mahal mahal dito sa LA nyan pag mag order…thank you again…god bless!!!
    By the way, ako lang ba ang naka notice na YOU SOUND LIKE GEOFF EIGENMAN?? Cute mag tagalog…hehehe….

3. Gina Reyes says:

Hi Vanjo,

I love watching your videos on your website everytime I need recipes, I’m from U.S. and I just wanna know where can I buy those molds that you use for kutsinta and pichi-pichi? I really appreciate it if you could e-mail to me where I can get those molds.

More power to you and your website.

Thanks!:)

4. Hi i want to thanks panlasang pinoy.com,that i discover. im living ing Germany.im soo happy na mkaloto na ako ng pinoy eating. thanks to GOD and GOD BLESS TOO LESENERS.

5. edgar says:

Is sweet rice difeerent from glutinous rice?

6. jenny sagun says:

thanks po sa pagpost ng kung pano lutin ang espasol…its my first time to cooked this im happy coz i knew it…

7. hello, thanks for the very informative site….this would be a very good help especially those who are starting a food business like me…Good luck and God Bless!

8. I went to Vietnamese and Thai Asian stores in my area and asked them for rice flour and glutinous rice flour. I was told by both stores that they were same.
    If rice flour is made of regular rice, can I just put regular rice in a blender and grind the heck out of it till it turns to powder?

9. Risa Galang says:

hi,

i tried this recipe and it was successful! i’m so happy kc i really like espasol before i used to order to my neighbor but now after watching you video i can make my own…you’re really big help to us! thank you very much for sharing it to us and keep on cooking other recipes.

10. mikmik says:

thanks… thanks.. thanks… more power and more recipes!

11. Brenda says:

Thank you po sa nga recipes. I’m a foodie here in New Zealand.
    You make it look so easy! I’m cooking more often now.
    Happy New Year!
    Cheers from all of us
    Brenda

12. KUYA, Gawa po kayo ng PUTO BUNG-BONG PLEASE!!!!!
    gagawin po kase namin yuon this christmas

AY OO NGA PO PALA

MERRY CHRISTMAS PO AT HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

13. I always wanted to learn how to cook espasol.. thank God, may panlasang pioy.com…

14. I tried this and it was’nt a success.Sinunod ko lahat ang ingredients plus the procedure but it turned out na nagmantika ung flour then medyo nasunog cya because of that.Kulang sa liquid and i tried adding more water because that’s what you suggested but still hindi ganon ang outcome kagaya sa video mo.Anyways thanks for the recipe.

15. sheila says:

ang dami kung natutunan s site mo kuya…thank u so much:)

16. Hi I have a question about the flour ingredients:

-3 cups glutinous rice flour, toasted

-1/2 cup sweet rice flour, toasted

I have Mochiko- Glutinous Rice Flour, but when I googled it says Glutinous Rice Flour was similar to Sweet Rice Flour. Can I use the Mochiko for both? or is there another substitute for Sweet Rice Flour?

Thanks in Advance:)

• Shasha says:

I have the same Mochiko here but it says on the box ‘sweet rice’ I googled it, according to wiki ‘glutinous rice’.. is also called ‘sticky rice’ or bigas na malagkit. Im a bit confused now with the ingredients.. maybe the 3 cups glutinous rice flour should only be just rice flour? I was about to make this but Im confused with the glutinous rice..

17. pano pag walang grated coconut?? wla kc d2 s japan ehh

18. burikikay says:

this is my favorite,, walang ganito sa canada.. wish to try this and bring this for our potluck hehe thanks kabayan

19. Paulo says:

Hi,

Thank you for all your fantastic recipes!
    I’m just wondering with this recipe, I’ve been looking everywhere for Sweet Rice Flour but unable to locate it anywhere.
    What can I use instead of it?

Thanks very much.

20. hi thanks a lot 4 posting your knowledge about cooking different kind of pilipino food! I ENJOYED it watching your video while your showing the step how to do it!! god bless panlasang pinoy! kip it up the good work! mabuhay,,:))

21. Hi there!
    Awesome site, I am a small business owner here abroad. I will try this recipe to sell. I will let u know the outcome. God bless you. You are a great help for me.

22. feenay says:

Kuya, thanks for all your wonderful recipes. You are the best!!!

23. thank you… kc alam mo ngagamit ko ung mga recipe mo s business ko and hopefully mdmi p ako matutunan sayo. thanks!

24. hi, i just wanted to ask you, i did everything that says on the recipe, but at the end, mine wasn’t like yours. it wasn’t sticky, mine looked grainy, wasn’t smooth and sticky…can u tell me wat i did wrong…thnx

reggie

• reggie, did you use glutinous rice flour for this recipe? If you did, I don’t see any scenario why it should be grainy because it will eventually become very sticky one its added.

25. Hi, I’d just like to let you know that I cooked this today. I didn’t have any sweet rice flour so I put 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of sugar and just used the glutinous rice flour w/out sugar to dredge or roll the Espasol. By the way, it took me only 20 minutes to cook the whole mixture of Espasol. Thank you very much, overall it is worth all the effort. It’s so good!!!

26. Follow-up questions:

-can I use the sweetened shredded coconut from the supermarket, same amount?

-I don’t have sweet flour, can I use the toasted glutinous flour for rolling the cooked espasol?

Thanks!

27. Hello! I’m so happy to be back here in Panlasang Pinoy. I really appreciate what you’re doing for your kababayans, especially for us living abroad where we don’t have access to Filipino food that we miss so much.

May I know the difference between glutinous rice flour and sweet rice flour? I live here in Florida and I don’t know which one to buy at the Oriental market. Thank you and more power!

28. oh my gosh!!! i love it…Thank you very much for the recipe for espasol….i got ur site at youtube…grabe ngaun pag nagcrave ako ng espasol i can make it now heheh anytime i want it….hmmm and its not that hard to make it…i find it really easy to make it….more power to you….

29. Allan says:

where to buy sweet rice flour?

30. hello po kuya…. I found this espasol recipe and it looks delicious. I can’t wait to make some but before that I have to ask you how to make the sweet rice flour? It says here in the recipe that 1/2 cup of sweet rice flour is needed and I honestly wonder what that is. Is this the toasted rice flour with sugar??? Help me please…..