California Roll or California Maki is a sushi roll that is made inside out. Crabstick, avocado, and cucumber are placed in the center of the nori while the flattened sushi rice with sesame seeds is on the opposite part. This is then rolled using a bamboo mat and pressed to maintain the shape.
Though sushi is a traditional Japanese food, California Roll was first made in Los Angeles, California in the late 60′s and became popular from then on.
So why feature a foreign food? Well, Filipinos are very flexible people. We can adapt to anything easily and get used to it if done all the time. Same goes with our palate and food preferences, it ceases to be foreign once it becomes a part of us.
Try this California Roll recipe.
1 medium sized avocado, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
4 sheets sushinori
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced in 1/8 inch thick pieces
4 pieces crabsticks
3 cups cooked sushi rice
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
Watch the video:
1. In a small bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt then stir well.
2. Place in a microwave oven for about 10 seconds then stir again so that all the ingredients will be dissolved.
3. Pour the vinegar-sugar-salt mixture on the sushi rice then mix well. Set aside.
4. Cut the sushinori (nori) in half crosswise.
5. Lay one sushinori (shiny side down) on a flat surface
6. Scoop some sushi rice and spread over the sushinori (make sure to distribute the rice evenly)
7. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the sushi rice
8. Cover the mat (or bamboo mat) with plastic (such as cling wrap)
9. Place the mat on a flat surface then put the sushinori with rice over the mat. The part that has the rice should be facing down.
10.Arrange the crabstick, cucumber, and avocado in the center of the sheet
11.Grab the edge of the mat, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, and roll it into a tight cylinder, using the mat to shape the cylinder. Set aside.
12.Continue doing the process until all the rice are used.
13.Trim the edge of the rolled sushi then cut the cylinder in half using a sharp knife
14.Slice each half crosswise into three equal pieces.
15.Place in a serving plate then serve with soysauce and wasabi. Share and enjoy!