Pininyahang Manok literally translates to pineapple chicken. This Recipe calls for chicken slices to be marinated in pineapple juice then stewed with pineapple chunks. Aside from pineapples, secondary ingredients such as carrots, bell pepper, and milk make-up the dish.
There are some variations of this dish and the obvious difference is the use of fresh/evaporated milk over coconut milk or vice versa. I would say that both variations will yield good results though I used fresh milk in this recipe because that is the style that I grew-up eating and it never ceases to give me that nostalgic feeling.
Try this Pininyahang Manok recipe.
Recipe: Pininyahang Manok (Pineapple Chicken Recipe)
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 12 ounces pineapple chunks, canned
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, cut into thick strips
- 1 medium sized carrot, wedged
- 2 1/2 tbsp fish sauce (patis)
- 1/2 cup fresh milk
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
Watch this cooking video:
- Marinate the chicken in pineapple juice/concentrate (derived from the can of pineapple chunks) for 20 to 30 minutes
- Pour the cooking oil in a cooking pot / casserole then apply heat
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomatoes
- Put-in the chicken and cook until color of the outer part turns light brown
- Add the pineapple juice/concentrate marinade and fresh milk then bring to a boil
- Add the pineapple chunks and simmer until the chicken is tender and half of the liquid evaporates (about 20 to 30 minutes).
- Put-in the carrots and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the bell pepper and fish sauce then simmer for 3 minutes
- Remove from the cooking pot / casserole and transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6