An Egg roll is composed of meat and shredded vegetables wrapped in a wheat-based wrapper and deep fried until crispy. This deliciously appetizer is a close relative of the spring roll. Egg rolls can be identified easily based on its size and wrapper. As you will notice – after doing this egg roll recipe – that the size is larger and the wrapper is thicker. You will also notice that the skin produces bubble-like texture after frying.
There are many ways to make egg rolls. Some recipes ask for ground pork or chicken, while others require sliced pork. There are also different variations of ingredients. For example, some recipes make use of soaked vermicelli noodles and other types of vegetables. Whatever the recipe requires, it is important for you to understand that the success of this dish depends on the texture and the sauce. The texture should be crisp while the sauce must compliment the dish.
Aside from being an appetizer, egg rolls make a good main dish. I personally like to eat them with Yang Chow Fried Rice. As for the dipping sauce, sweet and sour sauce is my number one choice. You may also use duck sauce depending on your preference.
Try this Egg Roll Recipe and let me know what you think.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 6
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pack egg roll wrappers
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cooking oil (for deep frying)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 piece raw egg, beaten
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- ¾ cups carrots, shredded
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan.
- Saute ginger and the ground pork. Cook until the pork turns light brown.
- Add garlic powder, stir, and cook for a minute. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots. Mix well and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Combine cooked pork and cabbage mixture. Add soy sauce and mix.
- Wrap the mixture using the egg roll wrappers. This is done by placing about a quarter cup of mixture on the middle of the wrapper. Fold the two corners and roll. Brush some beaten egg mixture on the last corner to seal the wrapper.
- Heat 3 cups of cooking oil in a wok or a deep pan.
- Deep fry the egg rolls in medium heat until the color turns golden brown.
- Remove from the fryer and let excess oil drip.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with sweet and sour sauce.
- Share and enjoy!