Egg Foo Young is an American-Chinese omelet dish that fits the Filipino Palate. Just like other omelet dishes; this dish is composed of different ingredients forming a flavorful concoction.
This particular recipe is the restaurant version of Egg Foo Young. Unlike the ordinary versions, this recipe involves deep frying which is the typical cooking method in Chinese restaurants.
I love this dish and I like it better when eaten with fried rice. Of course, making the best fried rice is another matter. Good thing we have some tips on how to make the best fried rice for your guidance.
Egg Foo Young Recipe
- 1/2 cup shrimp minced
- 1 cup ground pork
- 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 medium sized onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup crimini or white mushrooms diced
- 1/2 cup green onions or onion leeks chopped
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 7 pieces raw eggs
- 1 tablespoon cooking rice wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
- Make the sauce. Heat a saucepan and pour-in the chicken broth then let boil. Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce then stir. Pour-in the cornstarch diluted in water then cook until the texture becomes thick. Turn-off heat and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Spray or pour a little cooking oil in a frying pan and turn on heat.
- When the oil is hot enough, sauté the ground pork for 5 minutes
- Add the minced shrimps and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Turn of the heat and transfer the ground pork and minced shrimps in a bowl. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs then add the cooking rice wine, salt, ground black pepper, onion, leeks, mushrooms, mung bean sprouts, red bell pepper, cooked ground pork, and cooked minced shrimps. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat a cooking pot then pour-in the cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, pour about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of the mixture using a ladle. Cook each side for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the color turns brown. Flip to cook the other side.
- Transfer to a serving plate then top with the sauce and some chopped leeks.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!