Pork Adobo with Tofu is an adobo recipe version that I really like. It has the good taste of our favorite Pork Adobo along with the chewy texture of tofu. Pork and Tofu in Oyster Sauce has a similar texture, but tastes different.
I made this Pork Adobo with Tofu dish because I want to enjoy adobo without feeling guilty about it. I’m trying to gradually cut my red meat consumption to maintain normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels. I realized that it is hard to completely turn your back on something that you like. So, in order for me to slowly cut down on pork, I thought of adding tofu.
If you can see, I tried avoiding the fats by selecting lean pork slices (though a little fat is necessary for flavor). I also used a lot of garlic. As for the tofu, it serves as a pork substitute. I can eat 50% less pork if I substitute tofu for the other half — or at least that’s what I’m forcing myself to believe in.
On a more serious note, my purpose is to show everyone how you can easily convert a traditional Pork Adobo recipe to another version or form by simply adding new ingredients. This will make your cooking experience more fun because you are adjusting or altering recipes based on your preference.
Try this Pork Adobo with Tofu Recipe and let me know what you think.
Pork Adobo with Tofu Recipe
- 1 lb pork, cubed
- 14 ounces tofu, cubed and deep fried
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 pieces dried bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Watch the cooking video
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Sauté garlic until color turns light brown.
- Add pork and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the color turns light brown.
- Pour-in soy sauce, oyster sauce, and water. Let boil and simmer until the pork becomes tender.
- Add vinegar and wait until the liquid re-boils. Stir.
- Put-in sugar and fried tofu. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Turn off heat. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6