Sometimes, thinking of what to prepare for dinner becomes a burden. Trying to come-up with a new and exciting dish often adds to the pressure. If you are experiencing this, you are not alone. Most home cooks (like you and me) run out of dinner ideas. The best remedy for this is to either search for new ideas, or do some experiment – like combining 2 dishes, perhaps.
This Easy Basil and Tomato Chicken Breast came about when I was trying to use all the remaining ingredients in the fridge. There were chicken breasts, some bell pepper, a can of diced tomatoes, basil, and some onion. At first, I had no clue on what to do with the ingredients in front of me. So I started to season and pan-fry the chicken before the other parts of the recipe came into perspective.
It ended out simple and nice. There is a taste of freshness in the dish, and it seemed so easy to cook. I ate it with flour tortilla. You can also try having this with pita bread or steamed rice.
Try this Easy Basil and Tomato Chicken Breast recipe.
Easy Basil and Tomato Chicken Breast
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (26 ounces) can, diced tomatoes
- 2 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the chicken. Pan-fry each side for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan. Let cool. Slice into 1 inch strips.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a separate pan.
- Sauté onion and garlic; continue cooking for 2 minutes or until the onion becomes soft.
- Put-in tomato and basil. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Put-in the chicken strips. Cook for 6 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, salt, and ground black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes more.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4