The stuffing makes the thanksgiving turkey more enjoyable to eat. Some classic recipes calls for stuffing to be placed inside the turkey’s cavity (that is where it got its name), but there are also stuffing recipes who adapted the name even if it is not literally stuffed inside the bird. This Bacon and Caramelized Onion Cornbread Stuffing is one of them.
I like this stuffing recipe because it is so moist and flavorful. Imagine the flavors of the onion, bacon, rosemary, and chicken all coming together in harmony. Aside from the good taste, this stuffing recipe is so easy to prepare too.
I started out by melting the butter in a wide pan. The onion needs to caramelize first, so I placed it in once the butter starts to bubble. Try giving it a good 10 to 12 minutes and you will notice that the onions seem to melt and turn brownish. This is what caramelized onions look like.
The bacon along with the rosemary and garlic are added and cooked until the bacon’s color turns brownish. Once this happens, I just poured in the chicken stock and let it boil. It is important that you turn the heat off before adding the cornbread in the mixture. Finish off by baking the mixture, but make sure that you cover it to keep the moisture.
As for the cornbread I used a homemade cornbread which was a product of our previous recipe. The link is provided below. You can also buy cornbread from your baker if you wish.
Try this Bacon and Caramelized Onion Cornbread Stuffing recipe and let me know what you think.
Bacon and Caramelized Onion Cornbread Stuffing
- 6 to 7 slices cornbread, cubed
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 10 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Put-in the onions. Cook for 12 minutes or until caramelized
- Add-in garlic powder, chopped bacon, and rosemary. Cook until the bacon browns.
- Pour-in chicken stock and wait until it boils.
- Turn off the heat and then add the corn bread. Gently mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer the stuffing to a oven safe dish.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 8